Sunday, June 17, 2007

Experiences, not possessions, make the memories.

Sorry for the hiatus from writing the last couple of days. My softball team was playing down in Champaign-Urbana on Saturday, so I drove down Friday night to ensure that I was well rested for the tournament to be played in 90+ degree heat. As it turned out, the rest of the team drove down Saturday morning, a 2 1/2-3 hour drive depending on traffic. The $100 for an extra night in a hotel made everyone but me opt for the Saturday morning drive.

Well rested, fed, stretched out and hydrated is definitely the way to go into a tournament let me tell you. We ended up playing six games in eight hours and going 4-2 while finishing in second place. Our first loss didn't come until the semi-final game and we tied that game in the bottom of the seventh against Burton's Drywall and went into extra innings before losing. In a double elimination tournament, if you make it to the semi-final game, the loser (us) plays the winner of the losers bracket (teams with one loss already). We won the game against the loser bracket winner and then went back to play the team that had just beaten us. Down by five runs in the bottom of the last inning once again, this time we scored six runs to win and force yet another game against Burton's Drywall. In our third game against them on the day however, we were just a little too tired and couldn't get it done. Still, all in all, a good tournament and I hit pretty well. Not sure what my OBP was, but I'll find out.

Saw an article while reading the Chicago Tribune that talked about experiences, not possessions, being the stuff that memories are made of. In essence saying you should spend money on DOING things instead of BUYING things. Granted, the story was in the travel section of the paper and I've had tons of memorable experiences due to my big-ass tv, but I get the point. Travel has indeed created some fine memories for me, but I don't think it's limited to just travel and the article doesn't say that it's limited just to travel. Doing positive activities of any kind, not just travel, lend more memories than buying a lamp or computer. Still, you need that lamp and computer.

In honor of blogger Alexis, I make special note of this interesting article regarding biking in Amsterdam. I found it fascinating that there are 800,000 bikes a year stolen in Amsterdam. Yikes!

Hope you dad's out there had a great Father's Day!!!

7 comments:

alexis said...

Congrats on the tournament and thanks for the link, although the # don't surprise me! :D There's a reason we all lock our bikes up like maniacs here.

Anonymous said...

Of course experiences are what it's all about. That's why we have the malaise of the soul in our possession obsessed cultural here. And speaking of experiences, isn't playing sports and experience and the reason why you do softball?

stef said...

"I've had tons of memorable experiences due to my big-ass tv,"

tee hee hee

Anonymous said...

This is the first post from my parent's computer!! Yay!!!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Is playing sports an experience? I guess so, sure, but it's sort of a stretch to compare my playing softball (for which I normally don't shell out money) to buying a new IPod (or an old one since I don't have one yet). Now going to a pro event and paying money to watch, THAT would count as analogous.

Anonymous said...

No. An experience is something that you do. And its importance is completely a function of its value to you. You live your life for experiences of which sporting experiences are a big part. You work and work at thing and then you have that great game or round of golf that really makes you feel good. That's what living for experiences is all about.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but the article I was referring to (and my comments) was not about the definition of experiences. Rather it was that you should SPEND MONEY on creating experiences instead of just buying things. Sort of, "If you're going to spend money, take trips instead of buying tvs" (unless of course it's a big-ass tv).