Friday, June 01, 2007

What is it with me and rain/water?

An eventful day today that started with taking el supremo de NM to the airport at 7:30, the heart of rush hour. Fortunately, for whatever reason, traffic wasn't unbearable as I would expect.

Being up and about, I decided to hit the gym upon my return (instead of going back to bed!). Because the Cubs game was at home at 1:20, I opted to ride my bike to the gym for the first time this year....which meant I had to put some air in my tires. After having the same problem last year, I opted to purchase a hand held pump and it came in handy (pardon the pun) today.

Feeling rather proud of myself for working out and conquering my bike, I headed for the Cubs game with a client and two of his guests. One of the two guests was an attractive woman who showed up at Goose Island a little bit late. Not 10 minutes after sitting down, she said, "Do people tell you that you look like someone famous?"
Ugh. "Yes.....they do....far too often."
"Who do they say you look like?"
"Well, now they say I look like Chris Elliott."
"THAT'S who I was thinking too!!"
"Great....really great."

I mean really, what the heck am I supposed to say? "Thanks for saying I look like a balding, overweight slob"? She even pulled the "You also look like Paul Giamatti." Fucking wonderful. I'm not sure he's any better.....has a little more acting talent though.

There was a chance of rain for the game, so I wore tennis shoes instead of sandals because I hate walking in sandals in the rain. Nothing but bright sunshine during the game though. Afterwards we went to Murphy's Bleachers and met some of the guests' coworkers and, coincidentally enough, some people with whom I had previously worked while at Morningstar! It's a small world.

After leaving the bar and getting my afternoon coffee, I took my THIRD shower of the day before heading to Lincoln Square for German May Fest. This time I wore sandals instead of tennis shoes. Guess what happened? Yep, it rained. Damnit!! I did briefly hook up with el supremo's daughter Alexis though before the rains forced everyone under two tented areas. The place was packed! Unfortunately, Alexis and I were separated after the rain started as her an her girlfriend were looking for someone. I saw some old Morningstar people and talked to them briefly, again before the rain forced everyone inside.

Unable to find Alexis again and having a break in the rain clouds, I headed home, via train. I'm happy to say that I did not get rained on during the walk home. I have to say though, I felt a little like I was wearing a Cubs hat!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an appropriate day for the hat!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about the recognition thing, Joe. It doesn't happen all that often to me, but when it does, folks usually think I look like Andy Richter or (occasionally( Jack Black. I appreciate these guys' humor, but when someone says this to me, I immediately think "great, you think I look like a dumpy fat guy!"

The other odd coincidence is that I went to the Mayfest last night as well -- kind of surprised we didn't meet, although it looks like you might have been there earlier than I. I may go tonight too; plans are still being developed. Detectives believe that alcohol will most definitely be involved.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That's funny df. Count your blessings that you didn't come out on Saturday. Ugh.

How about that Ricardo? Funny that I had just read that cartoon.