Sunday, June 03, 2007

Any golf is good golf, but can you stop the putting green from spinning?

What a busy, busy weekend. I hope you enjoyed yours!

Saturday we had our softball tournament and we decided to go with a split squad (entered two teams). Most of our tournament starters were on one team though, but we just weren't hitting well. I'm as much to blame as anyone as my bat has gone ice cold the last few weeks. I'm working on ways to get out of it though.

After the tournament, I met Ricardo and his wife up in Lincoln Square for Mayfest, again. This time though it didn't rain. Since I knew I had to get up at 5 a.m. to make a golfing tee time up in Winnetka with a client, I opted to take a few precautions against drinking too much. One precaution was to buy the smaller mug for getting refills instead of the bigger mug which holds probably three of the little beers. Small mug, check. Then I wanted to make sure that I had plenty to eat while at the festival. Food, check. Avoid being out with Ricardo because it always ends up with me being drunk somewhere. Avoid Ricardo....uh oh. Missed on that one and it was the biggee. Then my "Thuringer Dinner" didn't have a bun with the sandwich portion of the meal and I was counting on it soaking up some serious alcohol. I did try to substitute a pretzel though, but apparently that wasn't enough. And the small cup would have worked......if I hadn't gone back for refills 3 times as often!!

Now, I'm not saying I'm completely without blame as it relates to Ricardo, but he and his wife are a lot of fun and usually there is alcohol around which, in turn, leads to a lot of drinking. Plus he has friends who are big drinkers, other than me. Well, long story short, I'm stumbling down Lincoln Avenue at 12:30 trying to find a cab with a million other drunk people. Great. When I finally get home, I have just enough time to set my alarm clock, strip down and hop into bed.

For future reference, golf is best played on more than four hours sleep. Plus, the client I was shooting with likes to walk the course and I don't even know if they have gas carts. Needless to say, I had a lot going against me, but I still shot reasonably well (85) which included two triple-bogeys on the back nine when I was even more tired.

One definite positive for the round was the number of cicadas that I saw!! They were everywhere. The client hit a tree, on purpose, with his club and the cicadas just flew everywhere. Tons of them!! Oddly though, just a few trees away would be a really old tree that had no cicadas on it at all. How strange is that? Still no cicadas downtown though, so who knows what to think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about el supremo de nm? Isn't it his fault, as well? You worked hard this week and needed some R & R, right?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, damn el supremo!!