Saturday, June 23, 2007

Golf Day (Sports entry!)

Today zoomed by as I slept in and didn't have much time before I had to leave for my golf outing with a shotgun start at 2:30. It was raining all morning and while we were at the practice range on the course, but after the second hole or so, the rain stopped. We were playing on the far south side of Chicago at a Cook County course called George Dunne National. The course itself is very challenging and they have even considered holding PGA events there.

We were playing a scramble format where everyone hits a shot, goes to the best one, hits from there, goes to the best one, hits from there, etc. At other courses, my team's average score is -20 or so. Today we were only six under par and it didn't look good for us to repeat as champions of my church outing.

As a side note, in addition to sponsoring my foursome, The Podolny Group sponsored the outing as a whole!! It would have been bad to NOT win while being the sponsor. Two guys on the team were new in that I haven't been in a scramble with them before. On the front nine I really carried the team unfortunately. It's not bravado that I mention this point, but to point out how you DON'T want one person carrying the team, unless that person is really good (which I'm not). On the back nine, two of the guys stepped up and did the majority of the work and we ended up shooting -3 on both the front and back. Some better putting and we would have been at -10 pretty quickly.

As I said though, we were -6 and as it turns out, we won by two strokes with that number!! Yay!! Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear I would've contributed more than 4 shots, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Thanks for the invite, Joe -- it was good to get out again.

Anonymous said...

Go Team PG