Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Much less expensive day today.

After the trip to the hardware store yesterday, I was looking forward to a more laid back kind of day which included golfing and then dinner with some ex-coworkers. Dinner was canceled though due to the need for one of my mates to attend a wake, so I opted to fill in at softball. A very athletic day. "If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter!" (Name the character and movie.)

All I wanted to focus on in golf today was to hit fairways with my drives. Sounds like an obvious thing, but it's not always obvious and it's a little harder than it sounds. You will use a driver or long iron on 14 of the 18 holes. Normally I hit about 7 fairways, or 50%. Today I really wanted to hit 10 fairways and see how that might impact my score. More fairways means I should hit more greens in regulation (second or third stroke) and then let my putting take over. Well, after four holes I had only five putts as I was chipping and putting well. Unfortunately, I only hit 2 fairways for the entire day!! TWO!! Good Lord. Not a good start to my day, but it was a beautiful day for golf.

Oh, and the cicadas!! They were everywhere!! Twice they flew at my face as I was preparing to hit. The sound of the cicadas was like a constant car alarm, but lower in pitch and slightly quieter. It was pretty cool. I was playing just north of where I was playing the other Sunday and where I heard all the cicadas.

Then it was home for a few hours before heading to softball. Due to the Cubs game, it took a while to get out of my neighborhood and almost an hour to get to the fields in Itasca (a suburb past O'Hare). The reason I wasn't going to play initially is that it's so far to drive and we only had one game. My effort was rewarded by our team getting hammered when the other team scored 14 runs in the fourth to go up 18-4. Ugh. We didn't score in the fifth (despite my second hit in three at bats) and the game was called early due to slaughter. Back in the car and another long drive home.

So not the best athletic day, but at least I didn't spend nearly as much money as yesterday!!

6 comments:

alexis said...

sounds like a great day, despite not being a glorious triumph. And the cicaedas. I take it they're out in full force now!

Anonymous said...

Principal McGee from the movie Grease, played by the lovely and talented, Eve Arden.

Anonymous said...

2 Fairways! I hope you've canceled your slot in the Open this weekend.

Anonymous said...

maybe you should try aiming for the rough. or if that doesn't work perhaps buying a new set of clubs would help.

stef said...

We saw cicadas all over the airport yesterday when we got in! Several crawled up our suitcase. Not in it though, luckily.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Still no cicadas down by me, though I think I heard one today. They are all up in Glencoe and Winnetka to the north and then near west burbs. Seemingly at least. I'm surprised Stef saw them at the airport!

Nice call Bee!

I tried everything Dry Dock. The crap of it was, the ball was flying straight, just not into the fairway.