Friday, June 29, 2007

"Today is my casual sex day."

That's what I read on a shirt in a store window. Laughed out loud as I walked by, so now even more people in my neighborhood think I'm a little off.

Had to sleep in today after a long night of drinking and good times with friends and business associates. I'm fortunate to have that ability, because today I really needed it as exemplified by not getting up until 10! Since I have a softball tournament on Saturday, I had to do laundry to get my uniform and other articles clean. Some business calls and a conversation regarding another new door that I need installed and it was already time for the Cubs game. The pitcher for the Cubs, Rich Hill, gave up five runs to the division leading Brewers from Milwaukee in the first inning, so watching the game was no longer a priority.

What was a priority was getting rid of my damaged carpeting and figuring out how to remove the last of my wet padding that was sitting under my desk. In order to do that though, I needed some help and Naperville Greg was just the man for the job. Despite being tired from a long week of work, he volunteered to come over and help with whatever I needed done.

Our first task, take the removed carpeting out to the curb. With two people, it wasn't too bad. By yourself, it ain't gonna happen. Next step, was to cut and remove another large piece of carpeting that I've decided wasn't going to be useful to keep. Again, with two people working on it (one holding the carpeting taunt and the other cutting from the back) the process was pretty quick. The final step was to remove the padding under my desk, while keeping the carpet at least for the time being.

If you think about my "L" shaped, very heavy desk, moving it all at once would actually require three people to do effectively. I really only needed to get at half of the padding under my desk as the water didn't reach all the way to the wall and the second side of my desk. So as Greg put up with me making various suggestions about how to move the desk, he said "Why not pick up one side and push the edge of the carpet past the edge of the desk? Then you can rip out as much as you want without moving the desk." I tell you what, that made the whole night successful!! I never would have thought of it. After moving some other furniture around, we were done and off to grab some Thai food and a few beers. Tomorrow's story: what we talked about over dinner.....or at least one of the topics.

The Cubs came back to win the game on a two run home run by Ramirez in the bottom of the ninth, 6-5.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hats off and bows to Naperville Greg

alexis said...

indeed! This makes me think I shouldn't get carpeting.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I've thought about NOT putting more carpeting down, but the carpet and padding soaked up all the water. What would happen to that water if the carpet and padding weren't there? It would run rampant and cause greater havoc!!!