Sunday, June 24, 2007

"Gay Pride" or "Why didn't I go golfing again today?"

Today was the 38th annual Gay Pride Parade in Chicago. Even though I've lived in the 'hood for about 18 years now, I've actually only hung around to see the parade about three or four times. Though I didn't watch the whole thing today, I did see a good chunk of it. Local politicians, some walking, others on a float. One guy, the recorder of deeds, was just sitting in his van and waving periodically. Didn't see anyone LESS interested in being there than him. The Grand Marshal was John Amaechi, the ex NBA player who came out earlier this year. Somehow I missed him ride by.

I started off standing by the Starbucks at the end of my block (the parade route went up Halsted at one end of my street and down Broadway at the other end of my street). For some reason there were tons of people right there at the intersection though and I couldn't see anything (which, in some cases, was a good thing). Seeking a better vantage point, I moved north on Broadway behind a bus stop bench. Perfect. The bench gave me some personal space and provided some space for viewing purposes.

"Hey Joe." I heard after about five minutes of standing there. Uh oh. Who could I know here? It was Ms. Maria's brother and three of his friends. We haven't gotten along in the past, a long involved story, but we've become fairly cordial in recent years (possibly because Ms. Maria and I are no longer dating). It was actually good to have him and his friends there because next to wearing very little clothing and/or buttless chaps, the gay community loves to form organizations and use acronyms. "PFLAG" for instance is Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. I mean c'mon, do you really need a group for them? Hell, a McHenry County online support group had their own float in the parade! I can't remember what they were called, but even Ms. Maria's brother didn't know that one.

Shirt sayings I read today:

Worn by a girl: "I like girls who like girls."
Worn by a guy: "Oklahomo"

Saw several women with unattractive chests exposed (isn't that the way?), but I did see one woman who I think was heterosexual flash some people up on a balcony. She was alright. That took place on my way to get some food. On the way back, the same balcony of people got some guys to drop trow. Fortunately my view was blocked.

Best marcher was a guy with a sign that said, "I survived a hate crime attack." That takes guts....and some built up hatred I imagine. And of course, the parents of homosexuals also have a group and they always get a big round of applause. Heck, I even clap for them. Tom Skilling (long time weather man in Chicago and brother of ENRON CEO Jeffrey Skilling) was on the WGN float waving and having fun. He seems like a nice guy. Oh, and of course, my favorite float person was Anna Davlantes from NBC. Yowza. She makes a pair of jeans look really good.

All in all it's a fun day, but the neighborhood is treated like a garbage can first, a urinal second and a parade route third. If not for the amount of taxpayer dollars spent by the streets and sanitation department using brooms to push the garbage into the street so it could be picked up by a fleet of trucks and street cleaners and then the over-the-top police coverage (at weekend overtime rates no doubt) it wouldn't be so bad. I'm not a parade goer, but the fans of this parade can make a mess in four hours like nobody's business. Ugh.

4 comments:

alexis said...

wow, you really captured the spirit of the parade! I love how everyone and their mother (literally) is represented. Don't like the peeing everywhere as much, must say.

stef said...

I went last year, but skipped it this year. I have even marched in it one year! I think it is one of the more fun parades but it is just HUGE now. And I think any parade that draws that many people is going to end up with that amount of mess.

Ken said...

NOW I KNOW WHY YOU DONT LIKE BUSH !! ;-)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

C'mon Ken, I told you why I don't like Bush....he's an idiot. :-)

Ken and I actually had a very adult discussion about him down in the Turks. Neither was swayed. Can't remember what the Canadian lady near us said....something like she thought were were going to fight.