Monday, June 11, 2007

Expensive Morning.

What a morning today. I set my alarm for the plum-early time of 7:30 (shut up!) to get a jump start on the day and have breakfast on my back porch. Unfortunately, my body just wouldn't get out of bed until 8. The delay meant I could still have breakfast on the back porch, but I only had time to read the front page of the newspaper and the front and back page of the sports page. Why? Where did Joe have to be?

Well, I was meeting my contractor, Manual-Labor Mike, at 9:30 at my local hardware store (a large regional chain) to buy more baseboard and order closet doors. My closet doors are bi-fold doors and upstairs they are 8' high instead of the traditional 7'. That meant that I needed to get the doors custom made. Ca-ching! In keeping with the style of regular doors in my condo, I'm making them six panel oak as well. They should look fantastic when they are done, but the cost.......well, I dropped $2,000 today on doors and baseboard and they still have to be stained and installed. Unfreakin' believable. It wasn't even 10:30 yet.

While lamenting my purchases, I sat down with coffee to watch some television and continue to seethe from the horribly unsatisfying ending to The Sopranos. Don't even get me started. Anyway, while watching television, I saw a commercial that really puzzled me. It was for the Ford Escape. Their slogan was, "The mileage of a sedan; the excitement of an SUV." Really? The mileage of a sedan is a good thing? Now I have what is technically called a sedan, but no one riding it in would call it a sedan. And I don't get tremendous mileage, maybe 28 mpg? And then "the excitement of an SUV"?? Since when are SUV's "exciting"? Motorcycles are exciting. Only crazy people drive them, but they are exciting. A 1960's Mustang, that's exciting. A Porsche, exciting. An SUV? That's the new soccer mom car. Hardly exciting. Boo Ford.

5 comments:

alexis said...

considering at what time you were watching television, I'd guess the majority of the normal audience WOULD find SUV's exciting. :)

Ken said...

I ride a motorcycle and I dont think I'm crazy! There is a feeling of freedom when you ride a bike that you just cant explain!! I try not to ride when I'm on my medication ;-)

Anonymous said...

Just another attempt by media to "mold" our thinking patterns. Gas price up, SUV sales down. "We have to get them to think they are fun and economical". I used to have a bike, freedom yes, also crazy.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had to get up at 7:30 AND had to deal with the unsatisfying end to the Sopranos (maybe you should have watched the Baritones)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That's a good point Alexis.

No one will ever convince me motorcycles aren't for crazy people. You have to have a death wish. That sense of freedom is simply the rush of you cheating death for another few minutes. Noooooooo thank you!!