Thursday, June 28, 2007

Not much going on but water.

As you know from my previous postings, my basement flooded. It's really annoying more than anything as I have to rip up the carpet and padding underneath only after moving everything around to dry "land". Unfortunately, some things are a little too heavy or awkward for me to move, including my desk at which I'm not writing. Is there wet padding underneath my desk? Probably. Will it mold if I don't rip it out? Most definitely. How am I going to move it? I have no freaking idea.

My desk is an "L" shape or more like a spread out "v" with the computer at the apex. It's probably three feet on either side and heavy as all get out. Even with two other people, all of the cords and things would make it really difficult to move. I'm going to have to do it though, but it'll be a chore.

Since I didn't have a dehumidifier at home, I borrowed the one from the office (which was installed to fight the flood aroma there) on Wednesday night and have emptied the little monster several times a day since then. At least now I can sit down here and work without sweating from the 80% humidity (no joke!) and suffer from the musty odor (most of which is gone).

I'm going to call upon Greg from Naperville to come over and help me take outside the carpeting from the back room and maybe get this last bit of padding up around the desk. Hopefully we can do both things relatively quickly and then grab a beer. Saturday brings a softball tournament for me, so at least I'll have that distraction.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive me if I misspeak here, but out in the burbs we have sump pumps to try and ward off the flooding...why don't u? Does it clog with rats?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Actually, in the burbs you have things called "yards" and "adequate sized sewer standpipes" and we don't have those in the city. Your sump pumps pump water away from your foundation into either your yard or into the main sewer line. Our problem was the main sewer line itself had so much water that even if I had a sump pump, all it would do would pump water to the "back of the line" so to speak. It would never be able to keep up with the flow of fresh water (4" an hour) so it would be pointless. In fact, my neighbors spent a crap load of money to put one in and their basement flooded just like mine. Unfortunately for them, they have taken out their carpet and padding yet, so by day three, it's smelling pretty bad over there. I think they've left for the weekend too.

alexis said...

oh yuk! Doesn't sound like fun at all.