Monday, May 28, 2007

Traveling to see Cicadas.

I promised that I would post a picture of the first grubs I see and here they are:





Unfortunately they were not in Chicago, but in Lombard where I spent part of Memorial Day Sunday.












Here's a cool picture of a Cicada hatching! I've never actually seen this in person until yesterday. Again, it was in Lombard.









It was really a tale of two parties. The first was hosted by a softball teammate, 25ish, living with his parents currently. There was a keg, Sloppy Joes and beef sandwiches. For entertainment, there was a "bags" tournament. I find it funny that Wikipedia calls the game "cornhole" as I've only heard people refer to it while reporting on it in the media. No guy I know would ever say they were going to play cornhole! Here's some pics from the first party:





People staying out of the sun. It wasn't even all that warm! Wussies.














View from inside the garage. That table in the left center of the picture is the "spread".












The cornhole tournament in the front yard.












The second party I went to was an hour south of the first in the rural town of Mokena. Since the area was mostly farmland 17 years ago, there were no cicadas in the development of my friends Terry and Sandie. In stark contrast to the first party, here's the spread at Terry's:






Let's see if I can list the food: four different salads (pasta, spinach, potato and broccoli), hamburgers, sausage, tacos, sloppy Joes, orange chicken (Chinese) and that didn't even include dessert!




It was a great day!

The answer to tomorrow's quiz: Drowning!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to hear how much you ate and drank this weekend when I get there. Man up!

alexis said...

Wow, that is quite a spread on that party. Although I'd opt for the chance to play me some corndog, or cornhole or whatever it was.

Mmmm, corndogs...

stef said...

yeah. i keep waiting for these cicadas. Where are they?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Actually I took it easy with smaller portions of everything so I was able to try it all. Turned out to be a good strategy. Missed seconds on the spinach salad though...damnit.

Still no cicadas downtown to my knowledge Stef. Not sure what the deal is. They say it has to do with soil temperature and such, but the ground can't be THAT much colder downtown.

Actually cornhole is kind of fun Alexis, but I spent too much time making fun of those playing as "white trash" that I couldn't possibly participate!!