Friday, May 25, 2007

Somebody Got Hit

Barely getting the blog in on Friday and now most people won't read it because of the big holiday weekend. No sweat though. I had dinner with a female friend (she truly is as we talked about her out-of-town-boyfriend issues for most of dinner......I'm not a big fan of being that guy by the way) and then dropped her off and went to see one of my favorite bands play, Fly Williams.

Now Fly Williams (FW) hasn't played in almost a year, so it was a surprise to many of us loyal followers to find out that they were even still together. Once again though, they put on a good show.....they even honored my request for the last song Somebody Got Hit which has some really good lyrics. They reference U2's Pride in the Name of Love and have a refrain of "somebody got hit, somebody must be doing something right." It's an awesome song and I'm not a big fan of live music normally. It might be out there in cyberspace, but they lost their URL so I don't know for sure where it is. (By the way, URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator. Thank you Wikipedia.)

So why would I go see this relatively obscure band if I'm not a fan of live music. Two connections keep me going back. First, an ex-ex-girlfriend was really good friends with the lead singer so that's how I was introduced to them. I've seen them so many times now that they know me fairly well. In case you didn't know, I'm always there at the end of the set of live music to offer my thoughts (positive and negative). If you want my opinion, it's there for the taking. If you don't, avoid me at all costs.

I found out tonight that my ex-ex-girlfriend moved to Houston after NOT marrying a less attractive version of me (he was overweight, smoked, didn't have the personality, but shared similar facial features). Good for her. I thought that was a bad move on her part anyway.

The other connection with FW is that they are the band I went to see after speaking to the Finance Club from Central Michigan several years ago. One of the people in the club was the daughter of my long-time babysitter and current friend of the family, which is why I agreed to talk to them. After my speech and a tour of the Exchange, we hooked up to go see FW at The Elbow Room. Now that young lady and her live-in boyfriend live less than a mile away and we always go see FW together. Oddly enough, a friend of theirs now plays saxophone for FW. They met him independently of the band and found out later that he played for them. Too funny! It's a small world.....but I'd hate to paint it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't "ex-ex-girlfriend" a double negative?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Nyah, just a girlfriend once removed....twice removed?....the girlfriend before my last one. Sorry we missed you at WFP last night df. We must have left just 10-15 minutes before you got there.