Monday, May 21, 2007

Flood and Fire in the Garden (State)

As I mentioned yesterday, I went golfing despite the not so great weather here in Chicago. The course we played is next to The Botanical Gardens in Glencoe. In addition to all the cool trees and plants around the course, there were tons of Barn Swallows diving around eating flying bugs. Here's a very representative picture of what we saw, had it sat still long enough:




As you can see, it definitely has a tinge of blue or purple about it. As the course was awash in Purple Martin houses, we concluded that these were probably Purple Martins as well. Seems like maybe we were wrong.











Then I come across this picture of a Barn Swallow, which is what I thought they looked like originally. So now I'm all confused over what we saw.






If you recall from earlier writings, when I was in the Turks, Ken from NJ was the victim of a flood. My luggage was temporarily lost, but he had real problems. Then I go to Sarasota for a wedding and half of the state of Florida seemed to be on fire. While there, I heard about fires enveloping NJ as well! How can a state go from floods to ablaze in one month?!?! With the 17 year Cicada's coming, it's like biblical plagues.......all centered on New Jersey. Why am I considering a trip there again?


8 comments:

alexis said...

answer: you are crazy.

I guess those are photos of the male and female of the species.

Anonymous said...

Answer: You are like Typhoid Mary and are the source of the plagues

Never knew you were a birder!

stef said...

Answer: NJ is purgatory

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Joe, you are the chosen one. The modern day deliverer. Egypt had Charlton Heston, Jersey gets Joe Sutton.

Anonymous said...

Answer: To make sure the damn job is done right...duh...

Anonymous said...

Look at all these answers. Does your reading public have you pegged or what!

Anonymous said...

I would've gone with "lost a bet."

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Very nice people! I like the answers.

Truth is, because Ken is there! And he's an M-F'ing hoot to hang out with. That's all I need. Forget the plagues!

Dry Dock, are you insinuating that I should look to lead the local chapter of the NRA?