Monday, May 07, 2007

Busy, busy Monday.

What a busy day! So much going on right now it's crazy. Today the hardware store, a smaller Home Depot type company named Menards, delivered six new doors and 48' of baseboard trim. I have a contractor who is going to stain and install of it. Unfortunately, "first thing Monday morning" does not mean the same thing to me as it does Menards. To them, it's 10:30 and only AFTER I call them to ask what's going on. It all finally showed up though and the work was able to begin.

A little back drop, two years ago I had my kitchen renovated, but they didn't do the trim around one new door and along the baseboard. Since the kitchen was renovated, it made the pantry door look bad, so I have to change it. Once I change THAT door though, then I have to change the baseboard and the doors in the same hallway....and so on....and so on as the project will eventually grow to consume my entire life. Sigh. Back to today's activities.....

Unfortunately, the stain I selected, Chestnut Red #232, was not what the contractor bought at the store. He bought Chestnut Red....without the number. Fortunately, he compared the two stains on a piece of wood and determined they didn't match. Great. Off I go to find a can of the matching stain......first one hardware store and then another....no luck. We decide to call the maker, Minwax, directly and ask what the deal is. Apparently they just dropped the number for no apparent reason and the stains ARE the same color, but some samples can vary slightly. Waisted a few hours chasing THAT ghost.

Some emergencies happened at work so they had to be dealt with while also dealing with the stain issue and some other crap. However, at the end of the day awaited a trip to the burbs for the Chicago Rush football game with some friends of mine from a far southern suburb as well as my softball team. We had an outstanding evening and watched the Rush improve to 8-1. Good times.

It's weird. Wednesday I travel to Tampa for a wedding and I'm not even panicked about it at all. I haven't gone through the "laying out of the clothes" nor have I been concerned that I, in fact, do not yet have the set of luggage I ordered ten days ago from Overstock.com. If it doesn't come tomorrow, I'm either using duffel bags or garbage bags. So why am I not really concerned? I think it has to do with having just gone on a real vacation and had everything go well. This one seems like a piece of cake. Hell, I'm even taking my computer!!

Okay, it's late and time to get some sleep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah home improvement project creep...I know it all too well (at least vicariously via funding the wife).

Taking your computer!

alexis said...

this is why I leave everything sloppy and unimproved.

stef said...

ahhh, but when it's done you'll be so pleased you did it.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah good ol menards. we had them up here in the boons many moons before the home depot's came to town. I've never had good service from Menards.

Anonymous said...

I'd go with everything in the garbage bags, that way no one will bother your stuff, make sure you get the new ones that stretch though!