Saturday, May 12, 2007

Moving down the "B" list.

Sorry I couldn't post yesterday folks. After getting up relatively early for me for being out of town, I went golfing and didn't get back until it was time to go to the cocktail reception for the wedding.

The golfing day was long (10-7), because I took the groom and a buddy of his golfing to a course where they could rent clubs and pay for only 9 holes, which is all the time the groom had to commit to golf. After we finished, they drove me over to the course I played the day before and I played 18 more on my own. Good times. Unfortunately, there's all sorts of wild fires going on down here and the smoke basically blotted out the sun! Seriously, you could look directly at the sun with absolutely no problems. Except for it being a little tough to breathe, it was perfect for golf as much of the sunlight was blocked so it didn't get too hot. After we finished the first nine holes and went to our white rental car, we noticed a fine layer of ash on the car! Nice to think that was going in our lungs for the last two hours. I'm going to get Black Lung years from now and they are going to trace it to this weekend in Sarasota.

Sarasota has some interesting history about it. Every where you go you see things named Ringling this and Ringling that. Turns out all of this stuff is named after the Ringling of Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus. John and Charles both seemed to be very active in the development of Sarasota.

Today I had breakfast with the bride, groom, two bridesmaids and another wedding attendee. It was a nice, very casual two hour breakfast outside by the pool and was very impromptu. When I look back on the weekend, it will probably be two of the best hours I spent. During breakfast, the groom told me someone (a relative of his I think) pointed at me the night before and told him that I looked familiar. "Is he on television?" Damnit. This story ends with a twist though. The person didn't mention JK Simmons, but instead went with Chris Elliott. Ugh. My goatee isn't working! Now I'm looking like less attractive movie stars!! When we talked about it at breakfast, the consensus was that I look more like JK though, who is apparently on the show The Closer.

The wedding is tonight at 6:30 and is at the Ringling Art Museum (yes, both the ceremony and reception). The cocktail reception was at the botanical gardens, named after someone who is not a Ringling surprisingly, and was really a nice place to hold the event. The food was good and I met all sorts of nice people. As in the Turks, I gravitated towards nice women, who were again married. Didn't really matter though because they were fun to talk to. One had just had a baby three weeks ago and you could barely tell!! Later in the evening, back at the hotel bar, she asked me if I would consider dating someone in Arlington VA because she has a friend there that she wants to set me up with! Ha! I told her thank you, but no.

Traveling tomorrow, so I probably can't make an entry. Happy Mother's Day to all my mom readers and especially to my mom!!!

No comments: