Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ice Cream and Cicadas

Here's what I was expecting to see by now Re: the Cicadas:








Piling up around a suburban tree.












Crawling all over a plant.









What I have actually seen, downtown at least, is bupkis, squat, nada. "Well, we're waiting." --Judge Smails, Caddyshack.

Read today that the number one cause of accidental deaths for children ages 1-4 is the same cause as the number two cause of accidental deaths for children ages 1-14. Any idea what it is? Sure it's not a cheery topic, but hey, life isn't always a bowl of cherries. Check the bottom of yesterday's post for the answer.

A sure sign of summer? Joe going for ice cream. I don't eat a lot of ice cream...just the opposite in fact, but it's hard for me to resist a nice walk to an ice cream shoppe. Now I don't go hogwild or anything, but a single scoop in a sugar cone is just the answer many a day in Chicago in the summer. Today, after lunch, Ricardo and I went to a little spot called Margie's at Armitage and Western. The place is old and the women working there are even older. However, the ice cream hit the spot and they have a special that I'm going to have to get another time. It's a sundae with several scoops of ice cream, a banana, whip cream and I think chocolate sauce for something like $4. That's a pretty good deal since these scoops were pretty large.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I can't remember the last time I ate an ice cream sundae. Mmmmmmmm

alexis said...

bananas and vanilla ice cream are unsung heros of summer. But I can totally remember the last time I ate ice cream, just a couple hours ago..

stef said...

You just reminded me I totally have to bring the Dukes to Margies.

Anonymous said...

cool pictures of the cicadas, i did some checking, we live too far north to have any of them.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm...roasted cicadas on vanilla cone...mmmmmmmmm....

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah Dry Dock, I haven't heard of any from that far north. Not in Michigan either.