Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Cold Cranking Amps and a few God Bless You's.

Writing intoxicated again.....not sure why this happens so often. Anyway, today's reason is that I was working most of the day and then left to get a new battery in the car and then on to softball. After softball I came home, called dejesus freak, whom I haven't seen in a month, and we went out to Goose Island to split a burger and have some beer.

The battery was deemed a necessity since it was five years old and had two dead cells (of six). What I wanted to avoid was damaging the alternator, which can be stressed if your battery is bad. Plus I figure, I spend a hundred bucks now and it's the last battery I buy for this car. This particular battery comes with a seven year warranty, which is 3-4 years longer than the average battery even lasts!! Plus I have have 670 cold cranking amps (CCA) which is 100 more than I was expecting and about twice the normal amount. Not too shabby...especially for those Bears tailgates!!!

In our softball game, we were playing a team a level higher than us with not a full squad. We won 15-10 or so and I was 5-5 hitting in the three hole. It was a good night. On what could have been the last play of the game, I dove to my left to grab a line drive and caught and dropped the ball. We didn't get the guy out, which was no big deal, except that when I dove, I landed on my right knee which has a big wound on it from two weeks ago that still hasn't healed because I keep re-injuring it. Well, I opened up the wound yet again. Damn. I'm hopeful that during the tournament Saturday, I won't rip it open again....but there's little chance of that outcome.

After coming home and showering, I needed to go get something to eat, so I gave dejesus freak a call after picking a location. To get there, I took the #8 Halsted bus. Now the #8 can be a crazy bus, but it's never as bad as the #36 Broadway bus which has just about every crazy person in Chicago on it for some reason. There weren't many of us on the #8, so when one guy sneezed (3 times) he got about five "God bless you"'s. One woman came on the bus with two people who were clearly her parents. They sat down in a row in the first set of three seats. At the first stop, they got up and moved directly behind me in two seats with the daughter across the aisle from them. At the next stop, they got up again and the parents moved across the aisle and in front of me while the daughter moved parallel to me alone. Finally I leaned over and said, "If I'm supposed to get up and move each time the bell rings, let me know. I want to play too." She really didn't know what to make of me.

No Cicada grubs today...even though today was "hatching day". Guess they are supposed to be delayed up to a week. I'll keep a watch out though and have pictures of the first grubs I see!!

The picture of the day shows the old doors in my condo and the new doors. A grand improvement I think.

7 comments:

alexis said...

but where did you go to eat??

Door is way better, gotta say. And three cheers for the Halsted bus, one of the only reliable ones in the city. Makes you wonder what it'd be like if all the buses were like the #8.

stef said...

New doors are beautimous!

Anonymous said...

Piling on the beautimous door comment...Hope this doesn't increase my rent!

BTW - your knee - YOUR OLD!

Anonymous said...

Intoxicated?!? To my knowledge, you only had three beers, one of which you hated and didn't drink!

Anonymous said...

like the new doors, suddenly i'm reminded of "Let's make a deal" I'll trade everytning for whats behind door #2 Monty. Or is that your new walk in beer cooler?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

We ended up at Goose Island Alexis. I actually took the #8 south to near Duke of Perth, where I wanted to go, but it was dead, so I took the #22 north to Goose.

Thanks guys for the door comments! I'm really happy with them too.

djf, I had a Pierre Jacque, 9% alcohol, on an empty stomach and dehydrated after playing softball. Followed up by virtually all (I did indeed drink the beer I didn't like, one of the signs of a true alcoholic I fear) of an 8% alcohol beer and then the wussy red beer (6% I think) and only ate half a burger and some fries....and chips. I actually staggered on the way home!!

Dry dock, that's my pantry door so you're right!! It's a beer cooler!

Anonymous said...

FYI those are signs of a full blown alky.