Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Who am I? Who are you? (not a kid friendly entry)

If the Steelers don't blow their game against Denver on a last second field goal, I would have won my confidence pool two weeks in a row!! Thanks black and gold. Bastards. That doesn't count as a sports entry. It's more of a gambling comment.

Here's an article on a study of identity theft. They researchers studied 517 cases that were closed by the Secret Service between 2000 and 2006. The FTC claims 3 million people have their identity stolen each year. So you're going to tell me that these researchers can legitimately claim a sample of 74 cases a year is statistically significant and can be extrapolated out over a 3 million person population size and relevant conclusions can be drawn from that data? You have to be fucking kidding me!

First of all, why only 517 cases in seven years? Please don't tell me that's all that were actually solved out of the 21 million cases of identity theft. The real conclusion should be that if your identity is stolen then you're fucked because apparently nobody in any position of authority can stop the thieves. Unbelievable. Don't even get me started on tearing apart the other conclusions they drew. For example, 80% of the cases involved the thief working solo......or with one other person. Well then they aren't fucking solo are they, so why even mention it?!? Good Lord. I hate researchers. Maybe I should devote a blog just to ripping them.

Seems like maybe I'm a bit ornery. Not entirely sure why.

In the spirit of Motherrocker, I'm going to go through my closet this week and toss stuff that I don't or won't wear. Actually I'll take it to my folks' place for a garage sale or drop it off with the Salvation Army. Either way, it will be out of my closet!! Look out malls!!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are ornery because you lost and it was your own damn fault! The Steelers didn't let you down, they played a crap ass first half and an outstanding second half. They just got outmanuvered on the clock. Statistically, you should not have given them more than 5 points in a confidence pool...Denver needed that win like people need to breathe, just to salvage their season...ask me before you bet on them next time...DOH! =)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

The Steelers DID let me down BECAUSE they played a crap ass first half. They were favored by 4 1/2 and lost by 3, a seven point swing. That's horrible. I had them at 8, but you can't look at just that game and say I shouldn't have had them over 5. There were other upsets that I picked that required fewer points: Bears, Buffalo, KC, Tampa(Detroit won) and Houston (Tennessee won). It was a toss up between Pitt, Indy and Seattle for the next three spots. Still ANY Steeler loss would kill me.

stef said...

OOooo. I hope that I also inspire you to take pics of your outfits. That would be an interesting addition to your blog. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes! Pictures of Joe in outfits...a must!

Does this mean there may actually be room in the guest closet to put things?

Anonymous said...

You may have a hard time with a sample size of only 74 cases (so do I), but what's really scary is when you consider how much of the news is driven by polls, especially in politics.

Is it that much different when they say that Hillary has a 29 pt. lead over Obama or that Rudy has a 12 pt. lead over Fred Thompson? Yet, those polls not only dominate the headlines, but they influence both campaign contributions and future voting patterns. Why vote for Kucinich or Huckabee, for instance, if you know that they are behind in the polls and have no shot?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Stef and el supremo, we'll see about the pictures of new outfits. First I have to clear out OLD clothes. Some new room should be created in the guest bedroom though.

djf, I took some stats classes in my day and God help us all if on even an infrequent basis, pollsters are sampling 75 people and extrapolating that over millions and millions of people. It's just not a statistically significant sample size. Maybe 3x that...maybe...probably more like 10x.