Wednesday, October 24, 2007

As the weather changes, so do The Days of Our Lives.

Big change for me today!! As most of you know, I read the comics every night before I go to bed. Unfortunately, I travel, sometimes I get drunk or am way too tired to read and just plunk down and fall asleep. All of which causes me to miss days of comics. However, I save the comics so that I don't miss a single day if possible. This practice has led to me being over two months behind on comics!! Yes, I have them stacked up next to my bed on the lower shelf of my nightstand.

To combat this ever growing pile of paper, I've decided to read the current day's comics in the morning and then read a back issue at night. In two months I'll be all caught up! Just in time for Christmas!!

MWrigley and I had a great evening together last night eating Thai food and laying on the sofa watching t.v. She's trying to get me into watching Bones and Law and Order: SVU. These are shows that I typically don't watch because: 1) they don't really "entertain" me in the way that The Simpsons or Family Guy does. 2) unless they create some really weird-ass scenario (like the victim was buried in a compost pile that generates internal heat of 175 degrees), I figure out what's going on in about 15 minutes leaving me with 45 minutes to say, "Really? No shit. Where were you 30 minutes ago when I figured that out?" 3) dramatic television acting is HORRIBLE! Freaking Ice-T is God awful and that blond prosecutor broad (Yeah, I said it!) is the worst.

Tonight I'm cooking for us and am making Pecan Catfish. Seems fairly simple. I'm hoping that my acorn squash with brown sugar and raisins will go well with it. We'll see. Of course, MWrigley just appreciates the effort.

In order to make dinner, I had to head to the grocery store and today I opted for the new Whole Paycheck right around the corner from me. Under ground and heated parking was a nice start to the trip, but clearly there isn't enough and it will be a zoo once people realize the store is there and is open. The trip should have been short since I really only needed three things: catfish, pecans and corn meal. A trip to WF's is never short though.

Here's my mental dialogue:
Where's the meat counter? Oh, back there. Ok....meat....pork....chicken...more meat.....even more meat. Where the hell is the fish? Oh, there's a whole OTHER counter for fish? Geesh. Ok, one ingredient down. Corn meal next. Couldn't find the corn meal. Looked everywhere, no corn meal. Screw them, I have something at home. Next is pecans. Every freaking kind of nut on the PLANET and no pecans. Oh, there they are. Hmmmmm, not sure I like pecans. Maybe I'll use the pistachios I have at home. Yeah, that should work. What should I serve as an appetizer? How about mozzarella balls and tomatoes? Mmmm, sounds good. Are those Dolmehs? They are!! Sweet, I'll take a few of those too.

What I left out of my dialogue is all the stuff related to organic food selections. Good Lord people, get over yourselves. Do we really need four kinds of organic egg plant? And the doofis hipsters that are running around that place are absolutely retarded! Not to mention the ultra-pretentious J.A.P.'s. Ugh. Made me reconsider holding the stock.....until I paid for my stuff.....$25. Good Lord. I'm going back to Jewel.

6 comments:

alexis said...

I also cannot get into those crime shows. Not that I figure them out, I just can't handle the blood. Or the bad acting.

man, I remember cooking. That was something I used to do, I think. Involved a kitchen?

Anonymous said...

You're telling me they didn't have pecans in the bulk food section? I have to check this out next week when I'm there.

stef said...

Pistachio encrusted catfish? hmmmmm. I do hope they're not salted.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

They had pecans in the bulk section, but I couldn't find the bulk section!! It's quasi hidden in the middle of the store for some reason. Anyway, when I realized what a pecan was, I wasn't sure I liked them all that much. The salted pistachios were perfect though!!

Anonymous said...

Acorn squash with brown sugar and raisins sounds delicious. I'd like that recipe.

As for Whole Foods, why not just go to Treasure Island? It's just as good for that stuff, far less pretentious, and within walkign distance?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I definitely could have gone to TI, but thought I should try to the WF since it's new and all. Plus I'm not nuts at all about the meat counter at TI.