Monday, October 29, 2007

All over the board today

Greetings from my computer, which I didn't have access to for a good chunk of the afternoon due to walking out my front door without my keys. While I do have a back up plan in place for just such an event, that was thrown asunder after I had temporarily given my extra keys to Manual Labor Mike. Ugh.

Gar, one of the gents who sits in front of me at the game, took this picture of MWrigley and me on Sunday and sent it today. We had stopped by Gar's tailgate on the way into the stadium (we just happened to see his crew by pure coincidence) and they adorned MWrigley with the purple beads. It's a nice look I think! She was a hit with the guys in the section and they made sure to make light of me at every opportunity. When the public address announcer came on with the phone number for obnoxious fans, no fewer than 8 people in my section pointed at me as they started looking for their cell phones. Bastards.






The metal girder right behind my head makes a great thumping noise if you hit it with your hand or fist. It's our own noisemaker! Sam Adams Oktoberfest was the beer of choice at the game by the way.




El Supremo de NM is in town tonight and for the next several days, so you know what that means kids: lots of eating and drinking. To be fair, I could refrain from doing either to excess, but to lay blame, I usually only go to excess when he's in town.....plus it's fun to rib him about it!!

(sports talk)
Griese was not particularly good on Sunday, but not as bad as the untrained eye (or drunk eye) might think. He threw four interceptions, three of them in the endzone. Certainly not good. One ball was tipped though and the defender made a nice play. One was just a really bad "Grossman-esque" throw. The third seemed to be the receiver's fault as he looked at Griese on the line of scrimmage and shrugged his shoulders and held up his hands like he didn't know where he was supposed to run. The ball came his way, generally, but he was definitely not where Griese thought he should be. The fourth interception was a weak effort by the receiver to either catch the ball or knock it down. Two of his throws were with defensive players in his face or at his feet which prevented him from stepping into his throws. Not an excuse, just saying.

I do think that Griese read too much of his press clippings this week though after winning offensive player of the week last week. Instead of managing the game, he tried to do too much and win the game instead of just not lose it. If just the endzone interceptions are turned into field goals, the resulting 9 points would have tied the score.

What I'd like to see is Orton named starting QB now. Why? Grossman isn't the guy, we all know that. Griese isn't the long term guy either; we all know that too. So why not see what Orton can do with a reasonable amount of talent around him on offense? At 3-5 now, you really have nothing to lose this year. Making the change now gives him an extra week to practice with the bye week off.

Finally, Danieal Manning had an absolutely horrible game. The guy couldn't tackle Stephen Hawking and had a miserable pass interference call for about 35 yards on a critical play. Boooooo Manning.

6 comments:

alexis said...

ahh, finally a picture of the fabled Mwrigley, both of you looking very fall-Bearsy too.

I hate getting locked out of my flat. At least once I've climbed in through my own bedroom window to get in.

stef said...

Nice to get a full on pic of MWrigley. You both look very happy. ;) I guess I would too if I had eaten all that bacon and figs!

Anonymous said...

Yes eating and drinking to excess! And a nice full frontal of MW; though still with the shades.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, it was sunny and normally I don't take pictures with sunglasses on too. It was really, really bright out though. No complaints though, believe me.

My options, Alexis, were essentially call a friend with keys, break down the back door (not even sure I could) or get a locksmith. The hour+ wait for the friend was fine though.

alexis said...

I guess you can wait at star bucks, so no big deal to wait!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yep, and my windows are all either locked or have bars on them, so breaking in would mean actually breaking the glass. Again, that would cost more than the locksmith!