Thursday, April 26, 2007

Last Turks entry!

True to form, writing slightly buzzed tonight. See why below.

In an incredible act of genius, I've decided to run my blog on two paths for a while: the Turks section and the "What's up today?" section. This way, if you're interested in the Turks comments, you can read them, or skip them if you're not.

The Turks

This is probably my last Turks entry as I've pretty much exhausted the people we met and activities experienced. First, Beth from NY, please send the scuba photos!!! Ken is pissing himself over not having any. Did your camera not end up working Ken?


My record of the trip wouldn't be complete without a few more notes though. Part of the reason for my face fuzz was not only one but two more references to J.K. Simmons being my look alike. Somehow I'm going to have to contact him and see if people ask him if he looks like me!

Two other groups of people we ran across are pictured below. The first is a group from Denver who actually work for Janus Funds! When they heard that I was previously the CFO of Morningstar, I received a mix reaction. Two of them were very excited and the third, remembering something negative Morningstar had written about Janus in the past, completely turned on me!! Prior to that tidbit of info, she was all nicey-nicey and "I just have to set you up with my friends" and then BAM, barely spoke to me afterwards. Oh well.

The other two women were part of a larger group of people from Boston who had that awesome, thick, Boston accent. Too funny. I love talking to people from Boston because you can only understand about half of what they say during a good conversation.




Kerry, Julie and Melissa, all from Janus!


Lisa and Lynn from Boston.


And thus ends my notes on the Turks. Other stuff happened, which are not recorded in this blog, but these stories are recorded because they are true. You have read the stories and have seen the pictures, so you believe. Blessed are those who do not read my blog, nor see my pictures and yet believe.

What's up today?
After Tivoing Saturday Night Live and finally watching the episode, I was reminded of a previous segment that I found incredibly funny. It was a segment attached to the SNL Update News segment called "Oh Really" with Seth and Amy. Very funny and the segment with Michael Vick was really funny. This Youtube is such a great tool for bloggers!!!

Oh right, I'm tipsy. Why? Well, after work, I went to the gym, had a great workout and headed home. Before I even got there, my good buddy Naperville Greg (he can change his moniker if he desires), called to say he was already in my neighborhood and ready for dinner. We had set this up earlier in the day so it wasn't totally unexpected, except that he was actually early!! The last time we got together (for a fish fry with him and his wife) he was also early. These events were in stark contrast to a funny story that took place back in 2003 when the Cubs were in the playoffs.

Naperville Greg and I decided to hit the bars around Wrigley for game six of the playoffs with the Marlins. The Cubs had the chance to go to the world series, but the infamous "Bartman Play" contributed to a loss. Anyway, Greg and I were to meet at a local pub, Goose Island. Unfortunately Greg was running late and he had to wait in line outside while the game started. After an inning and no progress in line by Greg, I went over to the bouncer and slipped him a Jackson to get Greg inside. I watched as the bouncer grabbed Greg out of line and brought him around back. Now Greg used to work in a bar himself, so he naturally asked if I had "taken care of " the bouncer. The bouncer, being big but not stupid, said "no" so Greg gave him another $20. That's $40 to get inside for the privilege of watching the Cubs blow the game, but it was a good night regardless.

Anyway, tonight Greg and I hooked up for Thai food and Belgian beer. The combination worked surprisingly well and I recommend it to anyone!!

Did you catch Lost last night? Wow, cool ending. If you watch it, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, it would take too long to explain.

Some predictions for the NFL Draft on Saturday: do NOT be surprised if Oakland trades out of the #1 spot. I really think they are going to land a veteran QB, possibly Trent Green or more likely Daunte Culpepper, so that at the end of the day they end up taking the WR out of Georgia Tech, Calvin Johnson. Detroit is sooooo screwed up that you have no idea what they are going to do, so I'm not even going to hazard a guess. Do NOT be surprised if the Vikings or Packers trade up to steal away the player the Bears want with their second pick, 37th overall. Who is that going to be? I have no idea because the Bears are almost as screwed up as the Lions!!! Grossman a Super Bowl quarterback.....puhlease.

2 comments:

stef said...

Actually, the only part of LOST I saw was the end. which was indeed "oooo" but also, "huh?"

Anonymous said...

The camera I had was a disposable piece of junk,Beth had a high end digital camera contraption :) I still have to go to C.V.S to get the pix developed.