Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Commercials and getting falsely accused in front of 1 billion people

Long title today, but it's not all about length....right? Sorry, easy joke. Half the people who watch the Super Bowl are watching for the commercials and normally I take a keen interest in them as well. Even with the Bears playing, I was still very interested in the commercials (and not just because we had a pool for the first commercial after various events). Now I don't have a list of the commercials in front of me, but some definitely stand out to me. Here's a link to watch them again. http://www.youtube.com/superbowl The Dorito Check Out Girl ad, which I believe was produced by a small time independent creative team, was probably my favorite. The Federline ad from Nationwide was pretty funny. Tell me, was the guy working the register JK Simmons(who more than one person thinks looks like me):

























The quick Letterman/Oprah spot was funny, but you had to know the history. The NFL's It's hard to say goodbye ad wasn't bad. I kind of liked the Sprint Connectile Dysfunction bit too. Nice take off on the copious drug ads we have to endure. Oh, and I almost forgot the Sierra Mist Comb Over ad with Jim Gaffigan. Too damn funny.

Now, imagine 1 billion people (or so) are watching around the world (130 million in the U.S.) and the broadcaster blames a key touchdown on you, only it's not your fault. Ugh! That would suck. Sure the team loss sucks too, but this is like salt in the wounds. On the wide open pass play by the Colts that Reggie Wayne caught to make the score 7-6, Phil Simms came on several plays later to "analyze" the play and make a special point to mention that Chris Harris blew his coverage assignment. Unfortunately for Mr. Harris, he didn't blow his assignment. If you watch the tape (like I did.....and yes, I have a problem), you'll notice that Chris Harris was on the other side of the field and that it was rookie Danieal Manning that broke up from his safety position to cover a running back who was already covered by Urlacher. Blown assignment by a rookie.....well, that will happen. Just a bad time...much like Grossman's turnovers.

Tomorrow's quiz answer: location A and reason #2.

5 comments:

alexis said...

oh my god, that guy does totally look like you!

Anonymous said...

Damn Joe! That is just spooky...20 years down the road...ooooo

Ricardo said...

I'd like to see a photo of you next to JK.

Anonymous said...

Those are great photo's of you, do you have any of JK Simmons? Thanks for the ad link i wasn't paying attention to the ads, too busy stuffing my face during the breaks.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Scary stuff huh? He played a gay, nazi on OZ and when that show was big people were constantly telling me I looked like him. I always thought that HE looked like ME.