Friday, February 16, 2007

Guns Galore

Coolest pictures you'll probably see today. G-Man sent these from the great white north....or close to it. They were taken from a tree stand, but not by him. He sent them in response to my comment about him needing to park close to his destination for fear of being attacked by wolves.

























I was thinking about what I would do, if anything, if I'm up in a tree stand and saw this going on. What would you do?


a. shoot in the air to scare off the wolves.
b. shoot the moose to put it out of it's misery
c. shoot the alpha-male wolf
d. sit and watch

Legally I'm not sure what I would be allowed to do, but given that all of the options are available and legal I would probably either try to scare off the wolves or do nothing. Is that wrong? It feels wrong to do nothing, but it's just nature doing it's thing. Happens everyday somewhere (everywhere in some regard), but this time you just happen to be watching. This is what National Geographic photographers have to grapple with all the time I bet.....except when dealing with naked pygmies.


The other day I received my Firearm Owners Identification Card or FOID (yes, I know it should be FOIC, but they existed long before I knew anything about them so it's not my fault). On the card it says, "Caution: this card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms. This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon." Don't these statements seem kind of obvious? Are people out there thinking: hmmm, if I get my FOID, I can go out and shoot people! I'm pretty sure they are not. Though after watching those "village idiot" clips that I sent around via email the other day, maybe that's what people ARE thinking.

7 comments:

stef said...

wow. so you OWN a firearm? Is it a semi-automatic?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Nah, just wanted to avoid the whole Tank Johnson "incident" where he had firearms and not FOID. Who knows, I might find one under the snow tomorrow and now I'll be able to keep it!!

Anonymous said...

I would consider (a) to be consistant with the cone bastard approach.

Anonymous said...

Personally I think this whole sympathy for the prey bit is pretty hypocritical coming from a the dominate life form which has seen fit to wipe entire species for the last 30,000 years.

Anonymous said...

oh god no, did dad take you shooting yet????Just kidding, welcome to the club...as an aside, i would shoot the moose, i hate it when anything or one suffers...

alexis said...

definitely d. Sometimes the wolf wins, sometimes the moose wins, that's the way life goes.

However, if it's me being chased by wolves, I hope the person watching in the tower will do something.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It's a tough, tough question for me. I have a feeling I'd try to put the moose out of it's misery. Ripped apart by wolves, what a terrible way to go!