Monday, February 12, 2007

Does it always have to be work?

Ok, taking a risk putting this entry out there, but I guess I can always delete the entry if necessary. It just seems that maybe there aren't any women left who are easy to date based on the various dates that I've come across lately. There's one particularly amusing story about a near relationship that I had back in the fall, but that one gets saved for the bar......a little incentive to take me out for a drink!

My last date originated when my friend's wife emailed me (and God bless my friends that set me up because they are great people, I mean it if you're reading!) to ask if this description sounded good:
"okay, how does this sound? 36. adorable. petite. blond. fun. career woman. educator. never married. no kids. lives in the burbs but wants to move back to the city. great conversationalist. "

Well, what? Am I gay? How does she not sound freakin' awesome?! What, do I suddenly NOT like adorable women? Do fun people suddenly suck? I was all over this seemingly fantastic opportunity.

Well it did involve an hour plus drive to the suburbs, which I knew going into it, but that was pretty much the only downside. We spoke on the phone first and it turns out that her work day is 6 a.m. until 3 and then she calls it a night relatively early (around 9). Ok, I can adapt possibly. We had a great conversation and set up a date. She was exactly as described....minus two huge dogs and two cats. No big deal though right? Well one dog is a large English bulldog. No sweat, I owned one and they are, despite their appearance, harmless. The other dog however, is about 120 pounds if it's an ounce, part American bulldog, part boxer and ALL huge. Holy crap. This monster was happy to meet me and wanted to play, but I was concerned whether "playing" meant "leave a limb behind". The dog was chewing on a femur for cripes sake! This bone was enormous. I asked my date if it was from the last boyfriend or date. She just smiled. Not the reassuring response I was looking for!!

We went for dinner (which was very nice) and then back to her place. What seemed like her "safety" call came at 8. This theory was actually proposed by my friend Judi and with whom I rarely agree on anything, however I think she's right in this case. A safety call is a call from a friend who gives you an excuse to bail on a date if it's not going well or you just want it to end. I have a feeling it was closer to the latter, but that's only because we have since talked and set up another date. She really is adorable, nice and fun, so if I can survive, it will be well worth the effort. More to come....until she starts reading!!



On a separate note, here's an outstanding website that none of you would think I would visit or put on my blog. Ha! You're wrong. I have an artistic side you bastards. Every day people send in postcards with a secret written on them and this guy posts them on his site. Pretty cool stuff.
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/ Please visit. Especially with Valentine's Day coming up, there's some interesting posts.

1 comment:

alexis said...

I am now only waiting for the opportunity to use that line, "what, do fun people suddenly suck?".

And with the addition of the Frank and Ernest comic, how could we ever doubt your artistic side?