Sunday, February 18, 2007

Free at last, free at last....from my car and a client!

Sorry about missing a few days here folks. No real excuse available other than a hangover and mucho lost time in my car this weekend. Some of the lost time was worthwhile, but most of it was not.

My first battle with the roads came on Thursday with a second date out in Geneva with the woman with the beast of a dog. A normal 60-70 minute trip took over two hours! Ugh! There didn't seem to be any accidents (or reports of them) just a crap load of traffic. It was a brutal trip, but a lovely lady awaited at the end of the adventure, so it didn't seem so bad. The dogs seemed more friendly towards me too since it was the second time I've seen them.

Friday brought another battle, but this time it was just a long trip, not bad traffic. It was a semi-traditional game night whereby I get together with a couple of women that I used to work with (MJ and Monique), a friend or two of theirs, my ex girlfriend and possibly another friend or two. At this particular event, it was me and five women! Turns out six is a really good number of people for game night and we had a blast (two teams of three for a few games worked well). The kicker was that we were having it at MJ's newly purchased abode in Tinley Park (about an hour plus south and west). Her house was really nice and she has two of the cutest puppies you've ever seen.

Here's one of the games we played: http://www.gdg-games.com/mystify.htm We followed that up with Celebrity Taboo http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11573 Finally we played a game that was a cross between charades and password. Combine all that with pizza and booze and it's a fantastic evening! Another hour plus drive home afterwards though.

Saturday brought another trip to the burbs, this time to meet softball guys to discuss the upcoming season and then to play a double header. First lower Wacker decided to grow a big hole in the middle of it causing traffic to be rerouted and then an accident on 290 backed up traffic for miles. After taking a local road (Roosevelt), the trip ended up taking almost two hours again!! Normally it would be a 45 minute trip most likely. Ugh.

Guess what I didn't do on Sunday? That's right, one trip to church and that was it for me and the car!!!

The last few days also saw me become free from a client that I've for over a year and whom I had to fire at the end of November. Unfortunately I tend to live up to contractual agreements, so I had to give them 60 days notice as well as finish the work scheduled through that time. That all finally happened on Thursday!! Yay for me!

4 comments:

alexis said...

yikes, snow + driving = not fun

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've heard talk of these traffic jams, so your telling me they're real. We don't have those here, but then again I do have to drive 50 miles to get to the nearest Starbucks.

Katie said...

Traffic was horrible on the Edens on Thursday too. It took me about 1hr. 45mins. to get home from work. It's been worse, but there was no apparent "reason" for the back up. Just a lot of cars...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Not to mention G-Man, when the horse and buggies come out up there. There's no getting around them in traffic.

Katie, that's what was so frustrating about at least one of my trips: no apparent reason. Sometimes the accident that causes the delay is gone before you get there, but they usually mention it on the radio at least.