Thursday, February 22, 2007

Illinois (and Arkansas) vs. The World!

It's a travel day for me (heading to Tampa) so my entry will be shorter today. The day already has a bit of bad news though as Ben, one of the nicest guys on our team (and resident drunk---see Bears playoff entries), called the coach this morning to let him know Ben's father had a heart attack so he was heading to Michigan to see him instead of to Tampa with us. Not only is this traumatic for Ben because of his father, of course, but he has also been working like a dog (as a plumber) and was really looking forward to the time off. Being only 24, I can't even imagine what he's going through right now.

Yesterday I was looking at ESPN's website as I often do, just to see what's going on in the sports world. If you don't go there often, they have a poll of the day and you can see how people voted on the question based on geographic location. The question of the day was whether the Bears defense would be worse off without their defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Personally I feel a big part of last year's playoff loss and this year's Super Bowl loss fall on his shoulders, so I don't think they'll have any problem without him. Heck, he took a demotion to be linebackers coach in San Diego after the Bears didn't renew his contract. Every state in the Union, except for Illinois and Arkansas (who thought they knew football?), and the world collectively, said 60-40 the Bears defense would be worse off. Arkansas was basically split, but teetered over the edge at 52-48. Illinois was 67% that the defense would NOT be worse off. I guess the rest of the world just thinks Rivera is "da'bomb", but they haven't had their hearts broken by his inability to adjust his defensive scheme. Good riddance I say!

1 comment:

alexis said...

good luck this weekend! Try not to get walloped by this storm I see is going to wreck havoc on the US.