Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Self-serve wine, just like a gas station.

Went back to one of my favorite Chicago places last night: Just Grapes. Here's the link. http://wineshop.justgrapes.net/ While relatively inconvenient for foot traffic and cars, you can indeed get there with minimal effort if you know the 'hood. There are usually spots on the street a block in either direction which only cost you a buck for an hour and you only have to feed the meter until 6. So after work, driving's absolutely a viable option. And that's what I did last night and what two of my "guests" did as well. It is close to the Metra station, so it is convenient in that sense. Being located west of the Loop and the river, not a lot of people are going to be walking by though.

Anyway, one of the reasons I like this place is that they have a self-serve tasting machine set up. It holds probably 24 red wines and doles out a 3 oz serving or so for a price that varies based on the cost of the wine (normally $.40 to $2, but one bottle of $150 wine had a $7.50 sample price). You charge up a prepaid card, insert it into the self-serve machine and choose a wine. It's just that easy to get all liquored up. And the best part is on Monday nights, it's half price!!! There's also a machine that dispenses white wines that holds 12 bottles I believe.

So last night it was me and two lawyers with whom I work at one of my many jobs (guess I'm only down to two now though since I fired the one client) and my buddy T-Rex Tim. After getting good and snookered on wine, we headed over to Izumi restaurant for sushi, a patterned I've repeated more than a few times. The food was great as usual and a fun time was had by all.

Now I have to get serious about what I'm packing to take with me to Tampa on Thursday. We're playing in a softball tournament down there and I haven't decided if I'm going to take my golf clubs or not. It's a three game minimum with the first game on Friday. There are 22 teams, 18 from Florida. We should be able to finish in the top five, but if we don't for some reason, the golf clubs might come in handy. Maybe I'll just rent them if I need them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage eternal boy of summer - oh, sorry for the foreign language use

alexis said...

May as well rent'em. Probably worth the lack of hassle trying to bring them down. Is this a co-ed softball team?

stef said...

I've been meaning to try that place for ages. Too bad I already made b-day arrangements. Have fun in sunny FL!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

My team is a guy's team, though I used to play on several coed teams. Since there is a chance for rain on Sunday, I'm going to pass on taking the clubs and if there's time to play golf, I'll just rent them.

Stef, you should really make a trip over there! Maybe in April when I'm thinking of planning a Podolny outing there. You'd fit right in!!