Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Fighting a Flood

My day started off with even MORE food, as el supremo de NM and a client met for breakfast. Even though I was still full from going for wine and sushi last night, I managed to chow down a Denver omelet. Good Lord. What kind of hog have I turned into? Well, in a weak attempt to even things out, I only had half a sandwich at lunch. On to dinner!

After breakfast, we headed into my Goose Island office. We were welcomed with a very nasty, musty smell. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I opened a window and that helped a lot. After an hour or so, it was time to visit the washroom. The floor was wet and the toilet was not clogged but also not working. Hmmmm. So I went upstairs to the second floor and used the men's room there. Before leaving, I checked out the toilet just to see if it was working. There was an unholy mess in there!! Ugh!

So now I'm wondering what's causing the smell in my office if two toilets in the building are messed up. After looking around the hallway first and finding nothing, I checked out our supply closet. Bingo!! Water everywhere!! Damn it. We lost three or four reams of paper, some file folders, hanging folders, toilet paper, all sorts of stuff. After performing some triage, I called our landlord to complain and our maintenance guy to clean it up. The landlord was pretty understanding and immediately gave us a $200 credit towards our rent. The maintenance guy took a while to show up, but he cleaned up the room pretty well and promised to bring in a carpet cleaner. After he finished, I saw him at the bottom of the stairs outside of our office mopping up a bunch of water that was standing about an inch deep! Looks like we missed the brunt of the waterfall from the overflowing, constantly running toilet one floor above. Fortunately the water was relatively clean at least!! Just goes to show you, someone always has it worse off than you.

5 comments:

alexis said...

oh no Joe! That's terrible. At least it wasn't at your home :(

stef said...

yeeks. A leaky toilet is never good news.

Anonymous said...

Not to mention that there was no using the toilets for almost two days

Anonymous said...

Hey-- if you are looking for some really great food, try the Quizno's Chilled Coyote (available only in the Chicago test market) before it disappears back into the wild...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That's hysterical bee. I saw that crazy story about the coyote going into the shop. Little did he know what lame food awaited him.

The waterfall in the supply room sucked, but what sucks worse is the musty smell that we will undoubtably have in there for some time. THAT is unacceptable.