Saturday, April 28, 2007

Revisiting the bar scene

One of my most memorable bar nights of late involved the following: Naperville Greg, a fish fry, Newcastle beer, Jameson whiskey and three women (plus a dude that I'll just leave out for the most part).

The night in question was actually over a year ago, during Lent of last year. Naperville Greg and I went to The Irish Oak, a bar near more, for their $10 all-you-can-eat fish fry. The fish is pretty good actually and they give you highly edible coleslaw as well as American fries. During Lent the last two years, I've probably gone to the same bar for the fish fry three times each year. If you know me, you know I'm not going to go back if the food isn't good.

Anyway, N.G. and I were catching up, enjoying our beer and fish when two Newcastle representatives showed up at our table (the bar wasn't very full yet so they didn't have much choice in regards to talking to us). One of the two reps was a petite little gal and the other was this tall dude. They ended up giving us free glasses of Newcastle, which we were drinking anyway, for about an hour or so. Then they let us play these games to win Newcastle gear. We played and won hats and a deck of cards. Dandy!

So you think that would be enough, but then along came the Jameson whiskey reps! There were two hot women who gave us drinks made with Jameson (mostly just Jameson and ginger ale which ended up being my drink of choice last year) and then gave us Jameson t-shirts.

Free beer, free whiskey, an all-you-can-eat fish fry, shirts, hats and a deck of cards! What a night!!!!!

Tonight I was out with my ATF buddy and some guys on my softball team watching the Bulls game (we won) and the Cubs game (we won!!). Guess WHO should up? Yep, the very SAME Newcastle people, almost exactly one year later. Hysterical. Actually it was the guy and a different woman, but the woman from last year showed up later. This year I bought my Newcastle and since I had my Newcastle hat on just by chance, they offered me the choice of either a t-shirt or yet another hat. Oddly enough, I chose the hat again. I've received a lot of good comments on that hat by the way. Then they gave me a bottle opener/key chain!! Great! When the original woman from last year showed up, I finagled a t-shirt too! Outstanding. It wasn't the same kind of night as with N.G., but it was good nonetheless.

Hope you had an outstanding Friday night as well!!!

No comments: