Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What Should I Bring?

As many of you know, I'm heading on vacation Saturday for a week to the Turks & Caicos Islands in the Caribbean. My buddy Ken from NJ has put together a list of things to make sure we bring. Here's my question for you: what would YOU make sure you didn't forget if you were me? Read the other comments and come up with something original! I should have the standard things covered: toiletries, golf equipment, scuba equipment, books, magazines, dvd player, razor, ibuprofen, Pepto-bismal.

In my picture from the bowling alley the other night, G-Man (who is changing his name) points out that I'm drinking PBR. Now, why would a self proclaimed beer snob drink PBR? Interesting question and there are a few answers. First, unlike Miller Lite and Bud/Bud Light and MGD and a bunch of other like beers, PBR actually has flavor. I don't know when the last time you actually had one, but they are pretty tasty in an ale kind of way. Go ahead, persecute me, but I'm sticking by my guns.

The other reason that I periodically drink PBR, which you don't find in many bars by the way, relates to my childhood. No, my parents were regularly serving beer with dinner. It actually goes back to visits to my grandparents' (mom's parents) house. Several times that I recall, we made home-made ice cream out of milk, sugar, ice, salt and who knows what else. It was pretty cool to put those things together and churn them into ice cream. Pretty tasty too. Well, after making ice cream, my grandmother would have the ice cream while sucking down a PBR. That's right, my GRANDMOTHER would drink PBR while eating ice cream. I'm fairly sure even I wouldn't do THAT. But it did provide a positive association with the PBR, which I'm sure I was allowed to try once or twice. So that's the rest of the story.

11 comments:

alexis said...

Joe, I can only think of girly things I'd want to bring, like a really cute beach tote.

Anonymous said...

Bring sunscreen with 45 in the number, apply liberally, turn after 2 hours, repeat...the Pepto goes without saying!

PS: are you sure it was PBR? I seem to remember Rolling Rock...

Anonymous said...

My grandfather used to drink PBR, back when it was considered ok. I see nothing wrong with drinking it now -- I do it myself, after I've already had a few "good" beers.

PBR is certainly no worse (and probably better) than any Bud, Miller, or Coors product. What's more, it has something they can never have -- character. There is still a bit of distinction in drinking it; it tells people that you aren't a sheep following the pathetic herd. Then again, I'm the same guy that fell in love with Grain Belt beer when I was in Minneapolis, so go figure.

Anonymous said...

PBR, I hate to inform you, has been back in vogue for awhile. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_20050726/ai_n14802912

Re: vacation, I always bring a picure of family in case I meet some interesting people and want share something. However, not sure if the Turks is the place for this.

Anonymous said...

oh, I haven't commented on the blue lights because I figured one would end up outside my house the next day!

Anonymous said...

the link again:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/
articles/mi_qn4196
/is_20050726/ai_n14802912

Anonymous said...

It has been 8 1/2 years since I have had anything to drink. I do remember purchasing some PBR proir to that mainly because it was $5 a case. Unfortunatly the details from that period are a bit fuzzy so i do not recall how it tasted, it was all about quantity at that time.
What to bring? Judging from your blog content, Sports, liquor and women. I would recomend a tennis raquet, a box of beer and a bag of condoms.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Hmmm, cute beach tote? I'm not sure about that Alexis.

Boat Boy (AKA g-man) I think you're on the money!

It's hip to drink PBR and I didn't even know it! That's not the reason I do though. Funny how that stuff comes around again.

Anonymous said...

I suggest Pepcid complete - provides both quick and long-lasting relief and is a tablet so not heavy liquids - my stomach reliever of choice for all my travels.

PBR also has great memories as it was the beer my dad use to drink. he use to give us little bits when we were around 8 or 9. I remember he'd put a little into our glass after we finished our milk so it had this funny white foam.

Anonymous said...

A lurker of whom we've talked about had a good suggestion -- they now make spray-on sunscreen and it works terrificly! I know that Neutrogena has a product, but I believe others do as well.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Such a good suggestion dejesus that I already bought some! I figured just in case I can't get any women to rub it on me, my buddy can spray it on. Castanza and I are similar in our thoughts about men rubbing us.