Saturday, April 28, 2007

First Round and First Communion

After a late night in the bar and writing yesterday's blog, I had precious few hours of sleep before it was time to head out to watch the NFL draft. Since my softball tournament was pushed back a day, my morning and early afternoon were free to do with as I please prior to my niece's First Communion.

The guys that own the seats in front of me at Soldier Field (where the Bears play) were having a draft day party, so I headed out to the far southern suburb of Matteson to join in on the festivities. Unfortunately, unless the Bears traded up, I was going to have to leave the party long before the Bears made their selection. The company, food and drink were well worth the hour long trip even though I only got to see two of the four guys who sit in front of me. It was all good though!

The draft, in summary as it impacts the Bears, was they took the best tight end in the draft and the first one selected when they picked with the 31st out of 32 teams. The trade with the Jets for Thomas Jones, netted us the 37th pick as well (we gave up Jones and our 63rd pick to get the 37th pick and if you recall, I thought we got screwed). Instead of making a pick though, the Bears traded the pick to San Diego for their second round pick (#62), #93, #167 all this year AND their 3rd round pick NEXT year. Wow! That's a great deal in my mind. Oddly, does this imply that I think Jones was worth, essentially, the 93rd, 167th and 3rd round pick of San Diego next year? Nope, I don't think the transitive property of equality applies here. The Jones trade was still bad and we just got lucky screwing the Chargers!!

My niece, Sommer, had her First Communion service at 4:00. Here I have to apologize to my sister for blaming her for scheduling the First Communion on draft day. Apparently the day is determined by the church, which is now on my shit list.....at least temporarily (yes, I take my sports seriously). Fortunately, traffic was not bad and I arrived about 15 minutes ahead of schedule at the far western suburb of Aurora. One of the gifts I bought Sommer (thank you Lurker Brenda --not to be confused with my sister Brenda--for the store and ideas!) was a First Communion white purse with rosary beads, a First Communion book and a pin. I was able to get Sommer the purse before mass and she was thrilled! Good Uncle Joe. In addition to the purse, I bought her an Irish crucifix suitable for hanging on a wall.

Here are some pictures:



My niece, Sommer.




Godparents and Sommer.



Sommer and Priest.

No comments: