Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Are you having a good day?

In an incredible act of genius, I've decided to run my blog on two paths for a while: the Turks section and the "What's up today?" section. This way, if you're interested in the Turks comments, you can read them, or skip them if you're not.


The Turks


Two more folks we met while on the big rock were John and Janet. John is a real estate mogul in Denver and I'm not sure what Janet did, though I do know she was from Canada (Ottawa I believe). We met them in the special volleyball pool. I don't think I've mentioned this, but it was the first time I've seen such a thing and thought it was a great idea. They had a separate little pool with a net that was used solely for water volleyball games. Except for errant shots (which happen often), you don't annoy the other campers around the pool. Sweet!

It was funny how we met, because neither wore wedding rings and Janet is pretty cute. Soooo naturally I'm ready to turn on the charm as necessary (alright, I don't have charm, but I was going to talk to her at least). During the game however, John was taking "liberties" with the rules of volleyball (as will happen during resort water volleyball games.....it is just for fun after all). However, Janet was on him like white-on-rice and a little snippy I have to say. At this point, I didn't know that they even really knew each other, much less that they were married.

As you know, Joe doesn't do well with "snippy" women, or men for that matter, so she was immediately moved over to my "try to avoid" side. However, in between games, they swam over to each other and gave a little hug and kiss to each other. Oooooohhhhhh, she's not bitchy, she's just his wife. THAT makes total sense.

At dinner that evening, we dined with John and Janet and found out they were just really great folk. They pretty much had to kick us out of the dining room (actually this happened often with Ken and me) and we almost closed down the bar as well. John and Janet were great company the rest of the week!!






John was all sunburned so he had to stay out of the sun.

Janet at the chow line.


What's up today?

Not often, but sometimes, things happen the way we plan them to, or hope they might, or something unexpectedly pleasant occurs. We call the sum of these events "good days". Sometimes just one event can make it a good day, but usually, for me at least, it's several little things.

Today, though unproductive for the most part, was a good day for me. Every nine months or so I go to see my allergist who writes my prescriptions for some basic allergy medication. As such, he gives me a little mini-exam to make I'm sure I'm generally healthy. My blood pressure was 110 over 65, pretty darn good for a 190 lb, 41 year old, so I was pretty happy. The doc is 74 and seriously moves slower than molasses, so the fact that I got out in about an hour is pretty amazing and also made me happy.

Unfortunately I missed my car wash special where it's $6 to have your car hand-washed if you're in by 10:30. It was 10:30 when I left the office. The car needed washing because my parking spot is under a tree and we had a lot of wind and rain last night, which colluded to dump all sorts of "tree shit" on my car. With the $15 car wash out of the question, I hoped for a space outside my condo where I could hose off the car. BAM! There it was, a spot right in front. Joe's happy yet again and the day is looking pretty good!

One of the errands I needed to run was to the hardware store to look at internal doors for my condo; I'm going to replace them all starting with my pantry. Unfortunately, the standard sizes for doors are 28", 30", 32", 34" and 36" basically every two inches, while my pantry door is 27 3/4". Crap. Now I have to custom order a door which is going to cost twice as much. So I ask this guy at the store about custom ordering one and he not only tells me, but shows me, that the 28" door is really only 27 3/4" and it's just a crazy industry thing (the 30" door really is 30", so it's all nuts!). The entire lumber industry is this way as even a 2x4 isn't 2" by 4". Yet another thing piling onto my good day.

On a lark, I walked down the aisle marked "Rat poison, Mouse traps, Automotive". Not sure what those have in common, though my Camry is credited with one rat killing. Much to my surprise, they have a T-Rex knock off for sale called the Tomcat. It looks just like the T-Rex and is 1/3rd the price. I had to buy one just in case the rats show up again as the weather turns nice.....if the weather turns nice. Still, another positive to my day.

Some pleasant conversation with the ladies from Montreal and having a consultant actually do what I asked him to do (albeit it three weeks late) and the day is a full-fledged "good day". Hopefully you're having a good day too!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An all time great line - She's not bitchy she's just my wife. And let's not start setting up all these rat killing things in the guest bedroom!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I have to set the traps where the rats are! JK.

alexis said...

my day was not so great, but not so bad either - so no complaints really. Just wish I wasn't fighting off this cold. Hate being sick!

Anonymous said...

Beth,
If you're reading this blog(I know you are:)can you please forward those digital scuba shots? Thanks
Ken