Sunday, April 22, 2007

Synopsis

There's so much to relate about my trip, it's hard to figure where to start. Normally, had I written daily, I would offer my activities, stories and anecdotes along the way. However, that sounds like maybe not so interesting reading (seven entries worth!) a week later. I think I'll just stick with some of the more general musings, but include some info on the people we met.







Ken on the plane....yeah, he just got out of the john. He was in row 5 while I was in row 25, so he decided NOT to move back and sit next to me. The other picture is us on the golf course. I bought the orange floppy hat to protect my ears. It was a big hit all week.


Club Med itself is an interesting concept in theory, but in reality it's not much different than other all-inclusive resorts which I've attended. Maybe the people working there are slightly more peppy than normal, but the atmosphere is relatively the same. This particular Club Med is an adults only club, which just meant no kids. It didn't seem like anything else was different (it's not like they ran x-rated movies in the lobby or anything). Half of the beach was top-optional, but the women were mostly just tanning with their tops off, not playing volleyball or running around (much to my chagrin).

If you've never been, I liken the atmosphere to that of Wrigleyville after a Friday afternoon's 3:00 Cubs/Cardinals game (with a Cubs win of course); everyone is happy, most are drunk or on their way to getting drunk, they are sunburned, tired, hungry, thirsty, dehydrated, some are single, some are married, some are looking to hook up and some are just there to get attention so they feel better about themselves. As a single guy, can you pretty easily hook up with someone? Sure, but how will you feel about yourself the next day? The women my buddy Ken and I spent most of our time with would have been a pleasure to wake up next to, but it wasn't an issue for either of us: one was married in NY, her single friend from NY who had other drawbacks and two who had boyfriends back home in Montreal. All of them were very bright, fun to talk to, great senses of humor and overall enjoyable company. I guess that's why we didn't feel a need to lower our standards any.








Pictures of: Karen and Beth (from NY) with Ken and me. Sandrine and Diana from Montreal with Ken and me.


But the week wasn't ALL about women, though today I had some bikini-clad-woman withdrawal by noon. Ken and I golfed three days (including 27 holes one day), took a refresher scuba class in the pool, went scuba diving at 60' on two dives, took kayaks out with the gals from Montreal, played a lot of water volleyball as well as billiards and ping-pong. It was really a full week and we both wanted to stay a few more days. Early in the week, Ken was still sort of recovering from his bout with pneumonia and on day two I caught my traditional "Caribbean cold" which is usually due to unclean air conditioning systems and happens to me just about every time I hit the Caribbean via cruise or resort. This time I started taking decongestant and anti-histamines pretty quickly and kept it from ruining my week. During my refresher scuba class, I was having trouble "clearing my mask" (briefly you clear water out of your scuba mask by blowing air out of your nose which displaces the water in your mask so you can see again) not because I lacked the skill, but because I couldn't blow through my nose!!


There's so much more to write, but I have to go play a double-header in the suburbs. More tomorrow!

3 comments:

alexis said...

Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip!!!! Lovely weather, you had same smart, hot babes to accompany you, and played lots of everything. Hopefully you're feeling recharged and ready to tackle everyday life again.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great trip and are home safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

I was having trouble "clearing my mask" (briefly you clear water out of your scuba mask by blowing air out of your nose which displaces the water in your mask so you can see again) not because I lacked the skill, but because I couldn't blow through my nose!!

That's why they tell you not to scuba if you have a cold! :-)