Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Easter Everyone!

Hopefully everyone had just a great day! Mine started off with church and then a trip to the 'burbs to see the folks and my sisters. As you know, annually, there is a big Easter egg hunt pitting me against my niece. Historically, my niece has taken me to task usually because of a combination of assistance from my family tackling me and my own limited amount of humanitarianism preventing me from taking out life's frustrations on a four year old.

That all changed a week ago at a restaurant celebrating my mother's 70th birthday. After sitting down next to my niece at the table (and getting an instant "oh great." comment from her), I brought up the Easter egg hunt subject. I asked her if she was ready and she said, "It doesn't matter. I win every year anyway." What?!?! The cockiness! She's calling me out in a restaurant!

So today, despite the cold, the Easter egg hunt was on again and my niece couldn't wait to get started. Bee and my mom set out to hide the eggs and this year they did just a bang up job. If you don't think it's hard, try hiding 17 colored eggs in your yard sometime. Trust me, it's not easy. When my mother gave the signal to start, my niece ran for the first egg, which I suspect she had seen moments before. In retaliation, I grabbed the hood of her coat to slow her down, to no avail as it came unbuttoned in my hands and I was down 1-0 just ten seconds into the hunt.

Fortunately for me, my arms are about as long as she is tall, so I had a distinct advantage during the hunt whenever we saw an egg at the same time. As a result, I brought home the bacon (or yolk as it were) with a 10-7 victory!! Much to the credit of my niece, she took the defeat really well and we had lots of fun the rest of the day. Mission accomplished.

Part of the fun the rest of the day was an auction set up by my mom. The deal was, everyone received $200 in play money that they could use to bid on any of a dozen or so gift wrapped items. Since it was my mother's event, she could "bang the gavel" at any time without warning. However, she didn't have a gavel. Instead, she made this seal-like honking sound that absolutely just made my day. Swear to God, funniest thing I've heard in a while. Anyway, in addition to the bidding and winning things, there was a lot of horse trading going on. Note to self, don't trade with either my father or any member of my niece's family. They're all swindlers! They would secretly look at their partially unwrapped winnings and then attempt to get me to trade something good to them for it. Everyone was a winner in the end though!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunday was probably the best Easter I have ever spent with family and though I initially didn't agree with the Easter egg strategy, in the end I think you were correct, dad still lets her win at everything anyway! I still want that storage bin...dammit!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it. Takin' down the niece. I see this upin' the street cred big time.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Finally, something to get my street cred going in the right direction!

As I think about it Bee, it probably was the best Easter! In spite of Ray's bad neck. Is he even doing anything about that? You should see how well that bin holds my golf stuff! Ha!!!

alexis said...

what a lovely turn of events! Sounds like your niece is ready for the big-time now.

Anonymous said...

You bastard!!! rub that bin in my face will you, i'm telling mum...pbbbttttt!!! And yes Ray is getting acupuncture at this point and i treally does seem to be working.