Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Lot of Softball

Today was a loonnnnnnnggggg day. My softball tournament was moved from Saturday to Sunday, so the team was out on the field from before 8 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. Now, if we didn't play so well, we could have gone home earlier!

Our team is generally a mixture of young players and older players (I'm one of the older players) and is the product of two teams that were merged. When we travel to Vegas, Tampa, St. Louis and such, we combine again. For lesser tournaments, we split up again to make sure we can get everyone playing time and at bats. That's what we did today and the tournament director put us in opposite sides of the brackets so we wouldn't play each other until very late in the day. The one flaw with this strategy is that towards the end of the day, both teams can get tired players as we normally don't get breaks like we do if we have 17 people on a team instead of 10 or 11.

Though the final game we played was very winnable, we were dead tired by that time and didn't have enough in the tank to get it done. If I'm not mistaken, we finished third out of 17 teams....not too shabby!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you played at Madison MEadows, we should have ended the day with a beer. Jodi and I finished working on the house around 8:30 and were looking for a refreshment! darn!

stef said...

It was so hot yesterday too. So I'd say you defnitely did awsome!

Anonymous said...

One of the oldest? You mean they allow people older than you to play?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That would have been cool Ricardo. I didn't know you were in the hood though. I knew you grew up out that way, but I thought you were in Villa Park all day? Oh wait, that's not far as I look on a map. Damn. I was pretty "ripe" though.

Thanks Stef! Since we were a split-squad, we were pretty happy.

Yes el supremo, there are indeed players older than me on the team! Actually there's three people about my age (I don't know exact ages) and there are at least two people older than me.