Friday, April 13, 2007

How do you pack for a week long trip?

Tomorrow morning, at 5:30 a.m., there should be a car waiting to take me to O'Hare and off to my (hopefully) wonderful vacation. That meant a good chunk of today was spent packing. Question: how do you pack? I noted today that what I do is kind of odd, or at least it seems like maybe it's odd.

I started off with the most important thing: underwear. Check. Then I moved on to......guesses? Undershirts; need them for golfing and I hate sweating through my shirts. Next on the list? Socks. So not only is the order a little weird, but I laid everything out on the bed, actually two of them, before even moving to get a suitcase. Is that odd? I just don't have to pack often enough to be good at it, plus I'm very visually oriented so I need to see everything I'm packing in order to make sure it gets into the suitcase. Unfortunately this affords me the awesome opportunity to remember what I DIDN'T pack as I'm on the way to the airport. That should kick in around 6:00 a.m. tomorrow.

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I, just moments ago, realized that if I hit the "advance 30 seconds" button 6 times on my Tivo, that I'll miss all the commercials and pick up when the show starts again. Sweet. Sure, I know it's simple math 3 minutes divided by 30 seconds equals 6, but I would have thought the commercial breaks were more on the line of 2 minutes each. Well, it's working for me, so I'm excited! Interestingly enough, I discovered the formula during Raines, the investigation show I told you to watch if you could. How ironic!

3 comments:

alexis said...

have fuuuuuun!

stef said...

I don't find your packing order odd. However, if you never made it past undershirts you will have a lot of shopping to do!

Anonymous said...

Trust me - laying things out - going over everything two or three times - the only way to pack and have a modicum chance of not forgetting something. Learned from mucho traveling.