Tuesday, April 24, 2007

French Kisses

In an incredible act of genius, I've decided to run my blog on two paths for a while: the Turks section and the "What's up today?" section. This way, if you're interested in the Turks comments, you can read them, or skip them if you're not.


The Turks

The other women that we spent the majority of our time with on the trip were Sandrine and Diana. I'm not entirely sure how we first met them, so maybe Ken can help out in the comment section. I think we met them at dinner on Saturday night and played pool with them, but I'm not sure. Since the tables in the dining room seat eight and there is a host/hostess seating people randomly, you have a very good chance of meeting new people (especially at dinner) if you are interested in socializing at all. And what am I if not social? :-)

Diana and Sandrine are from Montreal and both have lived there all their lives. Take a minute to check Google Maps and see the location of Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. They are much closer to the U.S. than I thought. Montreal is really just across the border from Vermont and not far from frequent commenter dejesus freak's parents home. Both women frequently commented about how nice of a town it is and a cultural wonderland to visit. Hopefully I'll find out sometime in the near future.

One of the highlights of the week was when all four of us hopped into two kayaks and a windy day. Sandrine and I jumped into one kayak and headed out to where the waves were breaking. Ken and Diana were motoring around too, but they had the sense to turn around sooner. I conned Sandrine to keep going out and we were fine until she unilaterally decided to turn back...just as a big wave was about to crash on us. I was able to maneuver us just enough to keep the wave from hitting us at completely parallel, which would have dumped us both in the water and who knows what would have happened to the oars. We didn't topple though and were able to make it back in unscathed. Good fun!!

Not only were the Canucks our pool buddies, but they also played ping pong with us and we took a long walk down the beach to check out other resorts and condos. Towards the end of the week, when we said goodbye, we'd do the traditional double-cheek-air-kiss. Normally, I can't stand this act. You're not really kissing, you're just pretending. But, it certainly beats a handshake and you're in close enough to make a move (like a hug or something!). Ha! It's really interesting how at ease you can become with people in the right situation. That's Club Med for you though!






Diana at dinner and Sandrine by the pool....not sure why the leg is up....just being silly I think.

Ken, Sandrine, Diana and I......do I look fat here? Good Lord...time for another diet!!


What's up today?

My luggage has been returned!! Actually, I received it later in the day yesterday and then spent the evening doing laundry. Isn't that the way? You can't resist. There's a crap load of dirty clothes and you just have to do laundry, at least I do.

While my baggage was returned in tact, my non-golf bag piece was torn towards the bottom and will have to be put down. It was ripped a bit before as well, but in this particular spot, the zipper is pulling away and not really securing anything anymore. Time for new luggage....ugh.

As I'm getting caught up with a backlog of emails, regular mail and various tasks, there hasn't been much time for insightful topic gathering for my blog. However, this Saturday my niece is making her First Communion and I was looking for gift ideas. The leading gift idea currently is money, but I welcome all First Communion gift ideas for a 7 year old.

This Saturday is also the NFL draft. Why would my sister plan my niece's First Communion on draft day? My leading guess is "out of spite" but it just could be ignorance. She's not that big a football fan, but her husband is. Me thinks he was sleeping on the job. C'mon, the Bears have two picks at the end of the first round/beginning of the second round and that's just about the time the ceremony is to take place. Coincidence? I think not. Pardon me in advance if I have my headset on!!!




2 comments:

alexis said...

what about starting a 529 plan towards college savings?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

A very good idea and one I've already started. That's where the financial contribution would go.

Good thought though!