Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Answer, etc.

In case you missed this story, a coyote wandered into a downtown Quizno’s sandwich shop the other day. Fortunately they were able to capture and release him into the wild. I love the picture of him sitting in the cooler! Ha!


The answer to yesterday's question about what I did on Thursday? It was bowling! Yes, even with my bad hand I gave it the ol'college try. At few times did it actually hurt my hand though and even then it wasn't when you might think. The pain would occur when picking up the ball as opposed to supporting, swinging or releasing it. Odd. I tested it out at first just to see and since it didn't hurt, I threw three games. Ricardo, Ricardo's wife and friend of Ricardo's wife all went. Here are some photos:






The Group and then me trying to make a crazed look....didn't work as well as I hoped.

Ricardo up close and me having released the ball a few seconds earlier.


The other night on American Idol, the only reason I was watching was eliminated. Gina Glocksen, from Naperville and the cousin of a friend, was voted off. It also happened to be the night that I was out to dinner with el supremo de NM, so I didn’t vote. So I’m officially adding Gina’s failure to the long list of things that I blame on el supremo de NM. Let’s take a look at that list as it currently stands:
1. The proliferation of CSI shows
2. My weight (when high)
3. Captain America’s death
4. William Hung’s decision to sing
5. My periodic alcoholism
6. The ferocity of wild bears (he hikes through the wild in NM pissing them off)
7. Most bad weather in Chicago
8. The Spartan loss at Thermopylae
9. The Osmond’s having a star on the Hollywood walk of fame
10. Gina Glocksen’s American Idol loss

As events transpire, I’ll take some of them off and put new ones on.

An interesting article in Discover Magazine; actually there were several. The article asserts that people get into more accidents in vehicles and generally take more risks when they perceive they are safe: cab drivers with anti-lock brakes drive faster and bicyclers with helmets get hit by cars more frequently than those without. So this group of urban planners called Shared Space is working with cities to rely on human beings’ intelligence and removing street signs and stop lights in various test areas. In ALL of the areas the theory is being tested, both in the U.S. and Europe (London and Drachten are mentioned), have seen reduced accidents (both with vehicles AND pedestrians) as well as reduced congestion and travel times. Seems pretty cool. It made me think about various places in Mexico where often no stoplights or signs exist. It seems chaotic at first, but then you realize that the drivers just know if they have the right of way and drive and stop accordingly.

2 comments:

alexis said...

wow, you're keeping a list.. hahahaha! Some of these are silly, some of them unarguable. Angry wild bears, for example - obvously correlated.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That's not an easy list to come up with! I should have put global warming....maybe next week.