Monday, October 25, 2010

Starbucks is good for more than just coffee.

No, I'm not talking about the scones (though they are delicious as well). I'm talking about free Wifi! Though I don't have much use for free Wifi, it is nice when I'm traveling or when the city (who is installing street lights on my block) screw up the phone lines and knock out my phone and internet service. Unbelievable. So here I sit at the Starbucks at the end of my street remembering again one of the benefits of living where I live.

As you recall from yesterday's post, I had a very busy weekend. After softball on Saturday, we were off to a party thrown by an ex-coworker of LL's. This woman, also named Laura, lives not too far away and lives in a genuine house. Yes, mucho denero. Last year we went to the same party and the food was just as good then. Good times, though we drank a little too much wine.

Which segues nicely into Sunday morning and loading up the car for the tailgate for the Bears game. It was an early wakeup call as we had to gather stuff up and load the car and then drive down to Soldier Field to get there as close to 9 as possible. We were a few minutes late, but it was due to Andy (AKA Sausage) being 15 minutes late. He blew out his achilles though and has a handicap placard, so I took it easy on him as we were allowed to park next to my friends over in the handicap section.

It rained a bit on Saturday though the forecast was for extensive rain all day. The forecast for Sunday was pretty much the same, which can ruin a tailgate because they don't let you put up a canopy of any kind. Fortunately we only had a little bit of rain in the morning and that was it for the day.

After some good eats, we headed into the game. Once inside the United Club, I looked for the service counter where they have the lineup cards with players names and numbers on them. When I curse at players from my seat, I like to make sure I'm cursing at the right guy (whether they can hear me or not....but I know they can). As we headed towards the stand, I noticed a woman who looked a bit like Fox weather chick Amy Freeze. If you're a long time blog reader, you'll remember that Amy actually commented on my blog when she first came to town about 18 months ago or so. Anyway, we somehow passed the stand and had to double back. This time I pointed out the woman to LL and said, "She looks a bit like Amy Freeze." LL confirmed it, but also only thought there was a resemblance. Then we get to our seats, look down to the field to where Amy sets up shop for the game (she sits on the sideline for most of the game and does at least two weather forecasts from there) and realize that Amy is wearing the exact same outfit as the woman we saw!! It was her!! Damnit!! I walked right by Amy and didn't even realize it. What a dope.

Then came the Bears game. All I can say is a big fat UGH! Another vastly inferior opponent that we let beat us because of ineptitude. This time the QB decided to help the other team's defensive back set a record for interceptions in a game. What killed me is in the post game interview, the QB said he's played against him before and would throw at him again with no problem. The guy just picked you off FOUR times and set an NFL RECORD!! How freaking delirious are you??? Still, he's not as delirious as our head coach is incompetent. In short, what pissed me off was when Lovie challenged whether a completion for us which was called down at the one yard line was a touchdown or not. Who cares? You have 3, maybe 4 shots from the one yard line. Even though you're 0-9 from the one yard line this year, you just lineup and hand the ball off to your big back that you signed in the off-season and are paying gobs of money to and make him earn it!!! But no, Lovie challenged it, lost the challenge and a time out. Nice. The very next play (a QB sneak of all the stupid plays) was a fumble and a play that should have been challenged, but Lovie has admitted that he didn't want to lose both of his challenges and timeouts so early in the second half. That screwed us....temporarily at least until the next set of turnovers by our pompous QB.


5 comments:

alexis said...

I admire your commitment to quality heckling Joe :P

terri said...

Starbucks is also good for their White Chocolate Mocha.

amy freeze said...

Seriously! I thought it was you too! Can't believe I didn't say Hi :)
Someday we will meet! Thanks for the shout out!
af

terri said...

Hey, look Joe! Amy doesn't even seem to mind you calling her the Fox weather "chick" !

... she's funny too!

kepp08 said...

Andy with the torn achilles was also severely innebriated the evening before so that may have caused the delay. Sorry Joe, somebody has to keep part of the Benny tradition alive. You will be able to experience Benny back in action vs the Vikes!