Friday, October 15, 2010

A day of golf

Today I spent almost the entire day golfing and hanging out with my golfing foursome. The host was a great guy who is now business partners with two other buddies of mine. Good stuff. The club to which he belongs is very nice and relatively close to downtown. If I were going to join a club ($60k initiation and about $10k a year) this one would certainly be in the running.

Unfortunately, I played like crap (again) and what was worse was that I THOUGHT I was going to shoot well. Since I don't have an official handicap, I had to come up with a number (similar to bowling Terri!) that I thought I'd shoot. It turned out that I was the "low man" so I had to give strokes to the other players on certain holes. Then I proceeded to play like crap on top of giving them strokes. Ugh. We were playing for a quarter a point with 6 points up for the taking on each hole and we rotated teammates. One rule in golf betting is that the team who is behind can "press" the bet meaning the point values double for that and future holes.

It came down to the 18th hole and I was trailing everyone by at least 10 points. My teammate and I already had a press on, so we pressed again making the hole worth 24 points and if you birdie the hole, it would be worth 48! The closing hole is a par 3 and I was the only one who hit the green and my teammate and I ended up with winning 20 points. All in all, I ended up winning a dollar, which is better than paying out money to everyone else!!

It turned out one of the guys in the group, Kris, was from Detroit so I couldn't resist telling my Ernie Harwell stories. Good fun.

LL comes home tomorrow!

3 comments:

terri said...

OH, the handicap! Sometimes I HATE the handicap! And golf is such a fickle game. Maybe I just don't know it well enough, but I feel like I have no control over it. At least with bowling, I can sort of figure out how to adjust my starting point, my grip, my release, etc and have some control over how I play.

At least you didn't lose a bunch of money.

Bee said...

How cool is that to be able to say???

"LL comes home tomorow!"

I am soooo happy for you two!

el supremo de nm said...

So LL get's home and has a day to recuperate before going to the Bears game? Sweet.