Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh what a night.....late December back in '63.....

...ok, it was April 16 of 1961, but I'm sure it was quite the night anyway. There was a snowstorm in Detroit the night the Blackhawks last won the Stanley Cup. That was 49 years ago; the longest drought in the NHL. Of course, that's nothing compared to the Cubs 102 years or whatever the hell it is now, but still it's almost 50 years.

With the prospect of a Cup clinching victory, LL and I decided we should be out amongst the people somewhere. Instead of trying a new place and not really knowing that many people there, despite a crazy all you can drink and pizza deal for $25, we headed to Mulligan's on Roscoe and Damen and hooked up with Sausage Andy and his friends (several of whom I know or have watched a game with). Unfortunately I didn't take pictures because the bar was pretty dark, but it was a fun evening even though we had to stand up the entire night. In addition, I successfully stole yet another beer glass with "Wrigleyville" on it. Sweet. The last time I was there I pinched one with Dick Butkus on it. Ha!

It was pretty crazy at the bar because the last goal wasn't very obvious. The goal light didn't go on, no horn sounded and the referee didn't make any indication. After watching the replay, only a few of the players even knew it went in! The celebration, though delayed, caught on quickly and there was much beer spraying, high-fiving and hugging of strangers. Good times!!!

On our way home, my buddy Mike called to ask where we were. One of my postings earlier on Facebook indicated I was going to the place with the drink specials, he saw it and had headed over there. After telling him we were 30 yards from my house, he headed down and we had another beer and watched the end of the game again (which we wanted to do anyway because it was so odd). Finally we had to call it a night and end the revelry....at least at Chateau Sutton. The partying out by Wrigley continued on well into the night and even included an appearance by the Stanley Cup sometime this morning around 9 or 10.


4 comments:

el supremo de nm said...

Happy to see a winner in Chicago...as long as it's not the Cubs.

Stef said...

It was so exciting. Are you going to the parade?

Bee said...

I'm just glad freakin hockey is over...honestly if the Pengs aren't in it, why watch???

alexis said...

sorry to be missing the revelry - I'm sure Chicago is super psyched about the win!