Thursday, June 03, 2010

From Softball to the Gym to Golf

As I wrote on yesterday, on Tuesday night I had two late night softball games. Wednesday afternoon I had a solid workout at the gym where I did at least 20 reps of 18 different exercises and reps of most of them. So how do I take it up a notch today? Golf!!

Billy the Bear and Smitty have been golfing for a month already if not longer, usually on Thursdays. Oh, they play in a Saturday league too I think. Anyway, at the end of last year, they switched from a pretty bad county course to a pretty nice course that I play fairly often on my own. After work, the rate is $22 to walk, $26 if you want a push cart. So in addition to playing for cheap, we get some good exercise. A 6,800 yard course is 20,400 feet which is almost 4 miles!

Since I haven't swung a club in....8 months I think...and certainly not since my surgery, I went to the driving range at the course first. While my shoulder seemed fine, I didn't seem to be hitting the ball as far as I did last year. The practice balls they make you use are pretty bad though, so I didn't worry too much. Out on the course my distance seemed comparable to last year.

But my putting was MUCH better! I have no idea why. I practiced putting a few times downstairs on my relatively new carpet, but that was it. No warm-ups on the practice green even. If you're not a golfer, you'd expect two putts per hole or 18 for 9 holes, 36 for a round. At the end of last year I was often between 36 and 40 putts for a round. Just awful. The pros who score low will end up with 23-26 putts. So today, I had 30 putts: 15 on the front and 15 on the back. Only one birdie unfortunately, but still pretty good putting.

Tomorrow I go back to just running at the gym.

No comments: