Sunday, June 20, 2010

17 hour fun day

To be filed under "interesting information that isn't going to change my habits" category.

On Friday night I wrote about my fun Friday. Saturday turned out just as fun! It started with a bit of sleeping in, which is always nice. Then I headed down to Crete, IL which is about an hour away, for a softball tournament. The team on which I play is a D level team, but a C level team dropped out of their tournament so the director asked us to play a level higher and that he'd do us a "solid" later in the year if needed. In Illinois, there a lots and lots of E level teams, fewer D level teams and many times fewer C level teams. There are only a handful of B teams, though I don't actually know of any. So this tournament only had 4 teams and the format was a 3 game round robin and then a single elimination playoff. We went 2-1 in the round robin and won our first playoff game but lost in the championship.

Since we had 16 guys out for the tournament and my shoulder is still not 100%, I played the equivalent of 2+ games defensively, but hit in all of the games, at least in the four games I was there. Fortunately I hit pretty well, which was a good achievement against better pitching.




It was pretty warm, so I set up the Bears canopy given to me as a gift by Joisey Ken. It provided much needed shelter from the sun during the day. Thanks Ken!!













The reason I didn't play in the last game was that LL had won tickets to see The Eagles on Saturday night! She was entered into a raffle because she has a team in a breast cancer 5k run in September. Since I had an hour drive, had to shower, get something to eat and then get downtown by 8:45, I had to leave the fields at 6:30. The Eagles were playing at Soldier Field and though the concert started at 4:30, The Eagles didn't come on until 9. The Dixie Chicks and Keith Urban opened for them and LL and I are not big country fans so missing them wasn't a big deal. As it turns out, our seats were very close to where my Bears season tickets are! A happy coincidence. The Eagles played for two hours and were awesome. By the time we got home, it was midnight and I didn't get to bed until 1. It was a long, fun day!




A dinosaur outside the Field Museum next door to Soldier Field. LL is in the foreground and the dinosaur is wearing a Toews Blackhawks jersey.















The view from our seats. The Iphone isn't the best camera, but you get a sense. It was a beautiful night, but apparently it was incredibly hot during the warm up acts. Since the sun sets around 4:30 or 5 during most of Bears season and the temps are in the 30's and 40's, I haven't experienced the stifling heat at Soldier Field. Glad I missed it!











Post concert picture of the field and the end zone closest to my seats. I'm not a big fan of the ground level seats as everyone stood up for 2 hours. That would have been tough.



Happy Father's Day!!

3 comments:

Joisey Ken said...

You're very welcome !

alexis said...

my that is a super awesome weekend. I didn't know the Eagles were still alive, let alone still touring. ;)

terri said...

You packed a lot of punch into one weekend! I'd be completely wiped out after a day like that. Glad you had fun!