Sunday, June 13, 2010

Lucky or Good?

There was not as much time to celebrate the Blackhawks Stanley Cup victory as I would have liked. Friday morning was a hectic mix of work, laundry, packing and loading the car. Then it was off to a bar, Rockit, near Wrigley by 11. Yes, 11. Why? My good friends the Punke (Pun-kee) clan was in town for the Cubs/Sox game and I was invited by one of my clients, Dave. We were also meeting another client of mine, Tom. So I drank with the Punke's until Dave and Tom got there and then we went off to had lunch. Dave and I were sitting together in the front row, upper deck above 3rd base. Great seats.

After the game, LL and I had some dinner while the traffic cleared and then headed to Joliet and LL's parents house. My softball team had an interesting tournament in which our first game was Saturday morning at 8 a.m. This tournament is called a "Major" in which teams from all levels, A-D, compete against each other. As a D team, we weren't really expected to beat a non-D level team, but you never know. Unfortunately, only one D team beat a higher level team and it wasn't us. We beat the only D team we played on Saturday though in a good game where we came back from being down 10-2.

So all the D teams are thrown into a single elimination tournament on Sunday and our first game was at 9, another early start. However we ran off 4 straight wins to win the tournament! Winning earned us a bid to the World Series in Disney in Orlando in September!! Very nice! So we ended up playing 7 games over the two days and I was hitting 10-13 going into the last two games.....when I went 1-6. Ugh. Two of the outs were well hit balls, but I didn't get on and that's the name of the game for me. Fortunately the boyz picked me up and we scratched out some wins.

LL was on hand all weekend as our only fan and did a great job cheering me on and keeping score on her phone (when the scoreboard wasn't working on Sunday). The weather was a bit odd, especially on Saturday, but fortunately I told her to take cover in the car just a few minutes before a big storm front came through with some high winds and pelting rain. They had us continue to play though and we finished our game. It cleared up in time for our last game on Saturday. Then on Sunday, we finished our tournament about an hour before the rains came again.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

4 comments:

alexis said...

it's good to have a little of both I find.

2006 Boundary Waters Canoe Trip said...

LL may have been the one fan for the entire weekend, b ut I saw some more fans for the 12:30 game.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

We definitely had more people WATCHING the last game, though I'm not certain how many were fans vs. just watching the only game going on at the complex while they drank!

terri said...

A bid to the World Series in Orlando! Nice! Congrats!

Kacey had a softball-free weekend up here, and I'm so grateful. It's been raining for about 5 days now. They play in the rain too, unless there's lightening. Which means I watch and cheer in the rain. I'm ready for some summer weather.