Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Looking to lose

Had a bunch of work to do today and also wanted to get in a workout this afternoon. This morning though I had a pleasant surprise when my folks called to tell me they were going to be downtown along with my 10 year old niece. As usual, they wanted to a Jewish deli near me called The Bagel. Good food and lots of it as is evidence by my mom's Mish Mosh soup order. The before and after pictures:



















Look at the size of that bowl of soup!! Two quarts of leftovers too. All for something like $8-$9.

This morning I did my usual weigh-in and I was down 10 pounds officially! Yay for me!! It was a new low weight for me since starting to lose weight in February, but it's also less than I weighed going INTO the Fall last year. In fact, it's my drivers license weight from March of '08! Now, my weight will fluctuate up, but I'm hopeful that I can set new lows through healthy eating and working out and settle in at about 5 pounds lighter than I am now.

Yesterday I read that losing the first 5-10% of your weight provides the most benefits, though that seems like dubious study because what if a guy weighs 500 pounds? The next 20% after the first 10% seems to have great benefit in that case. For someone like me though, now at 195, I was only looking to lose a little over 7% of my weight and I've already lost almost 5%. Good stuff!!

5 comments:

alexis said...

wow congrats JOe that is great progress. I gotta say, I don't know how you'd manage if all your portions were as big as that soup is.

terri said...

That is an enormous bowl of soup! Isn't it funny how portion sizes in restaurants are so big? I'm so trained to think that serving sizes should be big, that when I was out to lunch yesterday and the waitress brought me a Diet Coke, I found myself surprised at what a small glass she brought me. In reality, it was a standard size glass.

Congrats on your weight loss! I don't know about the benefits of the first 5 - 10% of weight loss. I generally just keep trying to eat well and exercise because it makes me feel good, both mentally and physically.

DogBrian said...

Great to see your Mom make the blog. She looks exactly the same as I recall. Maybe the secret is in the soup.

Bee said...

OMG! When sh is smiling in that picture, she looks like Betty White!!! Great now I see her being tackled in a mud puddle....LOL

el supremo de nm said...

Well done on the weight loss! Let's celebrate with a big meal when I'm there :)

I love mish mosh soup even if it is a big pig out.