Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Revisting the past

Happy Birthday to two people today! Actually, Joisey Ken had a baby girl on Wednesday at 10:30 in the a.m., so happy birthday to her (unnamed at this point)!! Happy Birthday, on Thursday, to Kleveland Kim!!**

Today my legs and ass were still sore from my core class on Monday and I had another core class to go to today! Fortunately I was able to get to the gym early enough to get 25 minutes in on the eliptical machine and warm up my lower body a bit. It seemed to help, but the core class was really tough.

While at the gym, in the locker room, I heard someone call "Hey Joe." As I often I do, I ignored the caller as Joe is a fairly common name and half the time they are really saying "No"or "Go" or something else that I didn't hear right. This time however, it actually was "Joe" and it was somebody that I knew! Now I've been going to my gym for......shit...I don't know...6 years?? I don't know any guy by name that works out there. Not one. Unfortunately, one knows me.

This guy and I were in martial arts school together and were both brown belts at the same time. His wife, Vicki, whom I actually DO remember, was also at the school and apparently at the gym tonight though I missed her. This guy is actually a nice guy and I really WANT to remember his name.

So when I got home, I went back into my electronic, password encrypted journal, to see if I made reference to him and or Vicki. Unfortunately I wasn't writing every day back then (hence my blog) so I couldn't find anything on him.

But I did find a treasure trove of interesting shit that I wrote 6-8 years ago. Good stuff that I sort of remembered or mis-remembered. And that goes back to why I wanted to have a blog in the first place: my memory is for shit and as you change, your perspective will change regarding the events that occurred. I even wrote some "Editor's Update" into my own journal (maybe it should have been an "Author Update") regarding some of the stories. Good stuff.

Things I'm grateful for:
#119 my martial arts training. Don't mess wid me homey.
#120 having started an electronic journal when I did.....though it would have been nice to have had it started even earlier.
#121 my medical insurance...especially this year. Unfortunately, I'm racking up the bills!


**(When are we getting together for dinner?? Tell Greg to get his ass in gear!)

5 comments:

davis said...

joe,

a google blog search for "shea meniere's" pointed me to your post from last year..

did you go to shea?

i see a post about sushi so you must have kicked the meniere's..

fighting it myself and trying to gather info..

thanks..

el supremo de nm said...

Yes - very thankful for health insurance.

DogBrian said...

Look forward to your comments on Jay Cutler.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Just finished them DB!

Davis, first off, Hi! I have not kicked my Meniere's at all and in fact had a nasty attack just before Thanksgiving. Now I carry mechlizine around with me wherever I go so I can head off another attack (I had about 20 minutes with this last one to get medicine in me, but I didn't have it). I wrote an entry on it, so check it out.

I did not end up going to Shea's. I consulted with several doctors and my U. of Chicago doctor was adamant that the procedure they would do would not solve my ringing, which was my main concern at the time. The winter months are better for my ringing and they usually get bad in the Spring and late summer (allergy seasons). I don't know if it will be worse or much worse this year, but we'll see. I don't really limit my salt or caffeine too much, though I am aware of it. My last attack was my first one, 10 years ago, so I may be an anomaly. Or it may be developing in me now. I'll just have to see and make sure that my medicine is close at hand at all times.

alexis said...

wow, blogging for so long? That is nuts!! IT is a great way to keep track of stuff except if you don't fill it in..