Monday, September 29, 2008

The Bears and the bears

Wow, so many things going on right now. Bears, Cubs, Sox, financial markets and my golfing. Ok, let's hit'em one by one.

The Bears beat Philly on Sunday night to go 2-2 on the season. We're two very reasonable plays away from being 4-0. Orton didn't have the best game, but his receivers again dropped easy balls and his best receiver, Brandon Lloyd, got hurt in the second quarter. Even the offensive coordinator, Ron Turner, the guy who calls the plays, only called a handful of stupid plays as opposed to almost every play like normal. The Bears went with a no huddle offense to start the game and scored in three plays. Nicely done.

Still, the game came down to two missed field goals by Philly and our defense had to stop them on 4th and goal at the one yard line. We won though, so it's on to Detroit!!

And there were pre-game festivities as well!





Northwestern Jeff joined me for the game. At least I bring chairs for my guests! Amateurs next to us....









This cutie was tailgating behind us and ended up joining us...with her two guy friends and boyfriend. Very nice folks though.









The Cubs start their playoff series against the Dodgers Wednesday at 5:30. Thursday they play at 8:30. Guess who won't be able to be reached either night? I'm so jacked up!!!

The Sox are playing a one game playoff with the Twins tonight to see who gets to play Tampa on Thursday. Win or go home. Even though the Twins had the better head-to-head record (10-8), they still lost the coin flip which MLB uses to determine where to play the one game playoff. Doesn't seem right to me. Anyway, that's the way it is so the Sox are playing the Twins tonight at home, where the Sox are 7-2 against the Twins. In Minnesota, we're 1-8, so home field is a huge advantage.

I appreciate all the comments about my coke machine exploits. I'm not entirely sure why the machine was so compelling to me. Maybe it was the thought of fixing it combined with free cash along with the puzzle like skills involved. Anyway, here are some more pictures from Orlando.



These birds are right outside the parking lot at a Wendy's!! They were right in front of my car. Pretty cool.











Probably part of the reason I didn't make it to the airport on time. This is a real intersection....not very helpful is it?









Today I went golfing and shot a 76 at The Glencoe Golf Club, a course that I like to play during the day because it's right off the highway, reasonably difficult and only $50 if you walk. You'd think I'd be pretty happy with a 76, seeing as it's 4 over par and ties my second lowest score ever. However, after 14 holes I was at even par and facing a 175 par 3. Having birdied a 233 yard par 3 earlier, this shouldn't have been a problem. Unfortunately I carded a 5. Damn. Three holes left and two are par 5's so I had a chance to make the shots up. I had to scramble for par on the par 4 16th after hitting a terrible tee shot. After draining a nice putt though, I felt like I still had a chance at 72 (my lowest score ever). Unfortunately, I bogeyed both par 5's after bad tee shots to seal my fate. It was a fun ride though!!

Financial bears were living large after the house failed to approve the bailout. Regardless of what party you like, it was stupid to not support this action. Even Warren Buffett said if he had $700 Billion that he would do it because the government could easily make money on the deal. So Monday, without the prospect of financial intervention, all confidence left the market and it sank like a rock. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed today and investors went bargain hunting to send the market back up 485+ points after dropping 778 on Monday.

Without the government or some other large body suppporting the bad mortgages, defaults will continue to weigh down banks and financial institutions and lack of liquidity in the markets will prevent growth in the economy and home prices will continue to fall as buyers won't be able to get mortgages.

When did Lou Dobbs become a nazi by the way? He used to be "unbiased" on 20/20, and now he's just insane. He was interviewed on CNN's website about the bailout and interestingly, he didn't provide one fact in his entire interview. It was all opinion and mostly just slanderous. In a really weak attempt to create the aura of respectability, he repeatedly references "economists and CEO's with whom I've spoken". Unfortuantely he doesn't actually name them nor does he provide any quotes or factual data from them. I really want to like the guy, but it just doesn't seem possible with his stances on issues.

3 comments:

alexis said...

what are those birds?? they are neat looking!

stef said...

Go SOX! How amazing was that game? The Dobbs interview you link to does have a link to video of him discussing with economists. I didn't watch it but maybe that will tell you who he's talking about.
The most frustrating thing about this is that while many people agree the bailout is not a good plan no one has put out concrete other ideas just sort of vague allusions to other things that could be done- not how you would actually go about doing them

Anonymous said...

Sports > Economy. It just makes more sense, right?

Rooting for the Blue here, but good luck..I know Torre will have his boys ready to play!!

Heading out to AZ this weekend for the Bills game, can you say 5-0..lol

Tim