Tuesday, September 02, 2008

My old house and the Detroit Zoo!

Pictures from the weekend!!



Starting simple. This just made me laugh.











My house from the time I was less than one until I was 7 I think...maybe 8. It's at 34 Maywood if you're ever in Pleasant Ridge Michigan. The siding and some of the windows are new. That wood staircase used to be cement.










View from the other side. They're doing some work on the interior as you can tell.













The house across the street. Bee, who lived there? Can't remember.












A house down the street which is missing a garage. Not sure what happened there. The sign on the door says "Day sleeper. Do not ring or knock."











Another house on the street. The tree has encroached the driveway and it doesn't even look like you can get to the garage.











One of Michigan's Black Squirrels. Very cool. And a nice segue into.....











....the Detroit Zoo. It can't be more than a mile from the house in which we lived so I'm sure I was there all the time as a kid. I remember some of the trips. Good fun.
















A bison rubbing himself up against the rocks. He'd make a good steak!













a sea otter just chillin' in the shade. No, he's not dead.





























An ant eater in motion.













Close up of the ant eater. Cool.












This is a kangaroo pen that you can walk through. No fences or anything on the path. I thought that was kind of interesting.











Closer look at the 'roos.













A prairie dog in their own exhibit.














This kid popped up in the middle of the exhibit and startled me a bit. Pretty cool. I wanted to go in there myself, but there were tons of kids waiting in line....and I didn't feel like shoving them out of the way.

4 comments:

alexis said...

wow, anteaters are cool! It's funny the Detroit zoo looks a lot roomier than Artis zoo. I think Artis is more the old school of though - the animals do seem less happy tho.

Anonymous said...

Sweet pics!!! Gawd, i miss those days. I used to ride my bike to the zoo every sunny day in summer time, back when it was free! I think that is Nihla's old place...she won the first Christmas card contest...and OMG 'Big Beaver', that is where the home offices of my old company is...small world. Incidentally, the day sleeper has been there since we lived there! ask mom!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, you remember them better than I do Bee, but I do remember some things. The park is still there at the end of the block, though it seems smaller (I'm probably bigger however).

Seriously!! The "day sleeper" has been there for 30+ years?!? Holy shit!!

Anonymous said...

Prairie dogs in a zoo - damn I see them every day when I do my walk...anteaters are always cool.