Thursday, September 18, 2008

Update from Orlando

What a crazy couple of days down in Orlando. Wait, it's only been one day. Geesh, it seems longer.

The flight down on Southwest was better than fine because there was hardly anyone on the 8:40 flight to Orlando out of Midway that got in after midnight. So that was pretty good, though we had to find the houses in which we were staying in the dark and we missed a few turns. No worries though. We still got to the houses in good shape...before 1 a.m. local time (no waiting to get our luggage at that hour either).

Then the trouble starts. I'm staying with my traveling partner, JC. We know we're sharing a room with two twin beds. We knew we'd be sharing a bathroom with up to 4 other people. We knew that it was a step down from a hotel. We knew that there were four families staying in the house with us. We knew all that.

What I didn't know is just how bad the bed would be. The "mattress" was ridiculous and we were basically sleeping on box springs. We also didn't know that we wouldn't have internet access. We also didn't know that the towels we'd be using were so thin that I would feel bad drying off a dog with them....and unsuccessful at it I might add. We also didn't know that we didn't have a tv in the room. We also didn't know that the a/c was barely working. I also didn't know that there would be ants all over my bed. That's right....ants.

At first I saw one and killed it. Then one came up the head board. Then another. Then I moved the mattress and saw about 20 of them. Then I found them in the carpeting. Then I knew I was not sleeping there the next night. If it weren't now 2 a.m., I would have left right then. Plus the car wasn't in my name...so that was a problem too.

Anyway, long story short, I'm in a hotel with JC, with internet, with nice towels, with a nice bed, with a tv, with air conditioning and no ants. Yay!!!

Our first game was pushed back 3 hours due to a rain delay. Ugh. We weren't supposed to play until 7:50 so starting at 11 would suck. As it turns out, we were supposed to play a team from Texas and they did not show up. So we won by forfeit. Not jacked about that, but the night was easier than it cold have been. So now we play at least two on games on Friday, one at 10:30. Good luck to us!! At least I'll have a good night's sleep!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so empathize. Going to a place you're staying in, getting there so late and then have it be such a dump is among the things I dislike the most.

Anonymous said...

Ugh! How awful. Was it called "La Casa de Seville?" Not Spain, think Florida! Glad to hear that you wasted very little time finding another place to stay. Good Luck on Friday!

alexis said...

that is terrible, bugs are really where I also draw the line.

stef said...

*shudder*. Bugs in the bed.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

DB, no it wasn't the Casa, though I drove by the Casa on Irla Brunson Parkway, just down the road from the Holiday Inn Express I stayed at. The ant traps were houses west of Disney down 4 and SR-27/24. The Casa is over on 192 east of Disney.....and much closer to a Starbucks I might add. Did you stay down there?