Friday, September 19, 2008

Playing on Saturday!

Well, we lost our first game today 10-5 after being tied 5-5 going into the bottom of the 6th inning (we play 7 inning games). It was a game that we should have won, but we couldn't get the clutch hit when we needed it to put them away early.

We were a bit depressed, as a team, but we had to suck it up for our next game at 8 on the Disney complex. These fields are pretty sweet, though they are baseball fields retrofitted for softball. Very well maintained, but a grass infield instead of the traditional softball dirt infield. Plus the foul territory, before the dugouts, is huge compared to normal softball fields.

As it turns out, we were playing a team from Illinois against we play in most touraments within the state and nearby tournaments, called Posse. I got the first hit of the game for us, under the lights, unfortunately I was batting 8th! We were down 2-0 after three innings. We broke through though and scored 5 runs in the fourth to take a 5-2 lead. We added on in the fifth and sixth to build up a 9-2 lead and we won 9-3.

While the game was closer, I had some solid defensive plays at third. In one inning, the third I think, I grabbed a line drive down the line between me and the bag off the bat of a left handed hitter. Two batters later I got a ground ball and forced the runner at second, but we didn't get the double play. A few batters later, with runners at the corners I think, the batter hit a foul ball towards our dugout. After running full out for it, I slid as I approached the dugout and made a basket catch for the final out of the inning. It was really a pretty good defensive play. Later, I started a double play on a grounder in another inning.

Offensively, on the day I was 2-3 in both games, not too bad. My outs were decent at bats as well, so I've been pretty happy with my play so far. Tomorrow is going to be a long day hopefully!!! We start at 9 a.m. and could play 8 games if we keep winning. If we lose though, we go home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn how come no one took a video of that diving catch? That would have been awesome - not to mention that your old-ass body survived it!

Glad to see the team had the resiliency to bounce back.

To bad you had to play a team you play against all the time. It use to frustrate me when I was coaching travel team soccer and we'd schlep 4 to 6 hours for an away tournament and end up playing someone from our own league.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

It would have been an awesome video!! We rarely have people videoing the games though.

As it turns out, there were 11 teams from Illinois, so if you play 5 games, odds are, you're going to play SOMEONE from Illinois. Never realized how many teams from our state go to these events!!