Monday, September 15, 2008

From Europe to Tampa

Supposedly Ricardo is back in the States now, but there's a chance that he'll just stay in England. He does like his fish and chips.

As such, and because I have a trip upcoming, I'm ending my London/Paris trip emails. If you'd like to see the rest of them, email me and I'll shoot them to you. Good stuff.

So my trip starts Wednesday night when I fly down to Orlando for the first of two full scale national softball tournaments. These tournaments are what we try to qualify for all year. Our first game is Thursday night as there are 250 teams! Here's the bracket. Games actually start Thursday afternoon at 2, but ours isn't until 7:50. There is actually a game starting at 11:20 p.m.!! If we win we play Friday morning at 10:20 and if we win we play at 10:00 Friday night. So there are long gaps between games on Thursday and Friday. If we lose, Friday still only has one or two games, but Saturday will be a nightmare starting at 9:00 a.m. with games every two hours until 9:00 at night when there are games at 9, 10 and 11. Ugh. All hands on deck!!! Obviously the schedule is easier the more you win.

Unfortunately, Sunday is the Bears home opener against Tampa Bay(ironic that we're playing Tampa here and I'll be right next to Tampa). So I have a refundable flight home on Saturday in case we are eliminated already. If not, great! I'll be happy to even miss watching the game if we're still playing on Sunday. If not, then I'll fly home on Saturday night and tailgate Sunday morning.

Either way, it's going to be an exciting couple of days. The fields at Disney, if we get to play on them, are immaculate. It's quite the complex. However, with 250 teams, they need to play games at several locations, some of which aren't that nice. So you have to fight your way through essentially and the better teams get to play on the nice fields. The nice fields will host the early games of higher divisions while we're playing elsewhere.

We're renting a couple of houses while down there and I'm not sure if I'll stay in one of them or go to a hotel. It might be problematic having to rent a car and a room though. We'll see.

5 comments:

alexis said...

oooo, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

stef said...

Im sure the weather will be nice an warm. Aren't you going to comment on the financial hoo ha? I have been waiting for your wise commentary to decide whether to freak out or not. (ha ha)

Anonymous said...

No mention of the Bears game or Big Z's no no? Are you feeling O.K.? Good Luck with the tournament and safe travels.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, there's a lot going on with my trip, so I couldn't really even START talking about the Bears. You're right though DB, I shouldn't cheat my readers!!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck or better than luck, best of performance at the tournament.